Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Where did I go on vacation in 1984?

4K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  L4CX 
#1 ·
In 1984 I went on vacation with my grandparents who are both now deceased, I'm trying to figure out exactly where we went.

It was on the west side of the state, possibly north west.

Place had cabins and I think some RV spots and maybe some tent camping.

It was on a chain of lakes, I think it was 5 overall, none were really big as we only had a row boat for a good part of the week and went into the first 3 lakes pretty much every day.

I've looked on google maps for a small chain of lakes with no luck, anybody have any idea where this place might have been?

#7 ·
Crooked Lake, Burt Lake area is my guess
Round/blue lake, source of little Muskegon river?

To little details... there aren't any lakes in Michigan or anything
I was 5 and went to Disney world, not sure i coulda seen you there.

Maybe here ?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_River_Chain_of_Lakes_Watershed
All look like possibilitys, hard to tell from the map and I was 10 at the time.

I've got a cousin who I haven't seen in years who might know.

#10 ·
I would have guessed the Torch lake area near Traverse City, a popular destination in Michigan.

"Torch Lake is part of a watershed that begins in northern Antrim County with Six Mile Lake, which is connected by the Intermediate River with Lake Bellaire. The Grass River flows from Lake Bellaire into Clam Lake, which in turn drains into Torch Lake via the short Clam River. Torch Lake itself is drained by the Torch River, which flows into Lake Skegemog, which opens into Elk Lake. Elk Lake flows into the east arm of Grand Traverse Bay at Elk Rapids. This watershed is popularly known as the Chain of Lakes."

#17 · (Edited)
Canadian lakes was my first guess.

If you really think it was up as far as TC, I would have guessed Arbutus Lake area (maybe even Spider Lake). They are small and I think still no wake (maybe even no gas motors). But I don't think those are all connected in the way you are describing, as it is actually all one lake eventhough it is split in 5 bodies of water

EDIT-
Or I just remembered the Lakes by Greenville. One is called Woodbeck. You can look it up from there. Its been a loooong time since I have seen those lakes though.

Second EDIT- Fast search also shows "Natures chain of Lakes campground" http://goo.gl/maps/0RRNo

#18 ·
Arbutus Lake and Spider lake are part of a chain of lakes just south east of Traverse City.

Is where I went as a kid and had to row the dam boat.

#19 · (Edited)
There are a few lakes like that on the south west side of the state. Coldwater chain of lakes and Pine Lake, in Delton, sound like it could be.

I've been there. I remember going to a church summer camp at a young age maybe 10-12. Turns out it was the Nazerene Church camp on Indian Lake in vicksburg, which is right around the corner from where I now live.

Good luck in your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.