Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anybody ever book a vacation using Priceline.com?

8K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rob the plumber 
#1 ·
Looking into booking a vacation to Vegas through Priceline. More specifically, a vacation package, including hotel and airfare. The current price I'm getting for round trip nonstop flight and staying at the Excalibur in September is $411, including taxes and fees. I know that doesn't include baggage fees or ground transportation. I've never booked a vacation through Priceline, just wondering if anyone else has and what their experience has been? Thanks!

#2 ·
Fuck priceline. I recently booked a hotel through them. Drove to kentucky and arrived at the hotel to find them overbooked. Priceline dicked me around for about 5 hours "finding" me a new hotel. I finally arrived at the new hotel which was 20 miles away around midnight and it didnt have the two beds as promised.

To make matters worse, the hotel was very clear that they do not have to honor priceline if they have direct reservations.

#3 ·
Maybe I've been doing it wrong but every time I have booked a hotel whether for a spring break trip or on a trip for business, I've found booking through the hotel is the same price or less than priceline/kayak/expedia give you and you get their rewards points.

#4 ·
I booked a trip with orbitz for st Thomas and it was easy. They emailed me before each flight any changes to gates or delays. Maybe check them out.

If you can afford to dont stay at Excalibur. It sucks. Hard. It's at the end of the strip so lots of walking or cabs and its old and weird themed, also not a lot to do in the hotel itself and the buffet wasnt very good

#5 ·
I've booked hotels, cars, and flights though priceline. No problems as of yet. I have also done hotels though hotwire and got a 4 star $189 a night for $89. I guess it depends a lot on where you are planning on staying.

Oh and don't forget sometime there are resort fees that the hotel in vegas will charge that's not on the total on priceline.

#6 ·
check out hotels.com, they will price match any deal on the internet, X-calaperpooooo, dont stay there, overpriced and the food sucks. Been there a few time to vegas, for the best price, best food, best beer prices $2 bucks stay at Bills Saloon, you can eat steak and eggs 24hrs a day for 6.99 and the rooms are nice for under $50 a night, but who sleeps when you go to vegas :sonicjay:

#7 ·
if you do book, dont take any shuttle busses, they will RAPE you, airports 5min. away, take a cab, same price, and the cabs are on time. when your leaving vegas, give yourself a extra 2 hours in that airport, its tram-buss hell to get to your gate for the plane

#8 ·
5 or 6 years ago I would always book through Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. for flights and/or hotels and the prices were almost always better than going directly through the airlines or the hotels.

The past few years I've ALWAYS found the same or better prices by going directly to the hotel or airline. When my wife and I went to Florida last month, the airfare was about $150 cheaper (even after adding in all the fees) per person through Delta.com than it was through Priceline and the hotel we stayed at for a few nights was also cheaper than (and nicer) than any of the similar ones coming up on the travel websites.

Even when the price works out the same, at least by booking directly through the airline or hotel I am guaranteed that I can add up my rewards points or frequent flyer miles.

#9 ·
I travel a LOT for work, and always book hotels online.

Flights, I use a travel agent. But that's only because I sometimes have to extend a stay, and one phone call to the agent takes care of flights, rental car, hotel- no problems.

We did priceline once- never again. Hotel was crap, rental car was 'gone' because flight was delayed, two frickin layovers......

#13 ·
I've never used Orbitz personally, but the people I've known using them have not had major issues, usually just issues with hotel room not being as nice as they expected. Even that's pretty rare.

If you are ok with whatever leftover rooms are available, and don't need a specific (example: 2 bedroom smoking suite handicap accessible) room Orbitz should be ok

#14 ·
I go overseas a couple times a year and almost always check the cheap rate places. I have never seen any prices cheap enough to book though any one but the airline direct. And I am pretty much a cheap ass. I do sometimes wait till the last minute to book though and will on occasion get better prices that way. I did Vegas 2 years ago in early Dec and booked everything myself and it was cheap.

#16 ·
Wow, thanks for all the info guys! I'm really going to do my homework on this one, not planning on going until September, but want to book early to get a good price. I've been to Vegas 3 times, but never actually booked a trip specifically there and back. I've always flown to my cousins in Phoenix for vacation, then drove to Vegas for a few days, reserved a hotel on the strip direct with the hotel, via phone from my cousins a few days prior to going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.