Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

air compressor opinions for jeep

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Elwarpo 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an air compressor for my TJ. Any thoughts or opinions on brands or models? The prices seem all over the board. I just need something for airing up/down on the trail. Thanks! :rock:

#2 ·
Forget electric or engine driven air compressiors. They are too expensive and a waste. Get a co2 air tank setup, powertank or ultimate air. More useful then a fixed system. I had a $500 engine driven system on my Jeep, used it a few times and sold it. I bought a just co2 tank a few months ago and have used it many times.

#6 ·
I did not pony up the cash for an actual power tank so I do not have the hi flo regulator. I have a 20# co2 tank and regulator with a 10' coil hose from a fountian pop machine. It work great for filling tires. I have not tried it on air tools and I think total cost was around $80. Now I just need to find a secure way to mount it in the Jeep. Good luck.

#9 ·
im building my own set up, with small tank and 12v compressor, total cost is bout $100 so far but i havent figured out all the brass fittingsyet, but maybe ill have 150 in to it. I dont wheel that often and probally wont use it to much but I didnt want to waste my money on something sitting around so i went cheap, If my compresor goes I get another one for $60.

here is a link: this is like my set up.
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/portable_oba/

#12 ·
He still sells the regulators and will give you links to decent sources for tanks and brackets.

Just for the life of me I can't find the website that he has now.

EDIT:
http://www.virtualoffroadcenter.com/CO2-SystemsRegulators_c_1.html

But now it looks like maybe he's not even doing that? :confused:

I was going to order a setup at some point just to give the business to a local guy, but seeing as this looks like strike number 2 for the regulators/systems he sells I think I might be going Power Tank like everyone else. :(

#16 ·
tons of threads on this topic. i have done it with great success with a gm harrison radial style compressor. 125 psi and about 5 cfm at 90 psi. combined with a 5 gallon tank i can air up a 33" tire from flat in about 50 seconds. also has just enough guts to run an impact gun for short durations. total cost for me was maybe 50 bucks for some hose and fittings. i had everything else.

#18 ·
Get a york and you are good forever. Work like crazy and plenty of air for air tools. Your tank never runs dry with OBA and you can fill up your buddy's tires all day long. I have had the your system on my TJ for 8+ years now without any issues. In the long run cheaper than CO2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.