Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Are used 4x4 prices REALLY that high?

20K views 223 replies 67 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
$17k+ for a 155k mile cummins that is 12 years old? really?
$54k for a JK with a hemi and a lift kit?
$6k for a 235k mile wrangler that is rusted out and 10 years old?
$18k for a 10 year old avalanche 160k miles and with a duramax swap?
$5k for a 10 year old silverado that doesn't run right and needs a transmission?

Has the inflation of the US dollar been that bad? Am I drunk because I think these prices are ridiculous? Are used cars really worth that much money?

#7 ·
Those are all asking prices. People can ask what they want. Doesn't mean they'll get it. I always thought wranglers were grossly overpriced for what you get. But I do agree with you. Can't find a used 4x4 20 year old truck for less than 2500 if it runs.
I get that, but we aren't talking about offering a few hundred less, some of those I feel are worth HALF what the asking price is. I'm not necessarily interested in buying any of the examples I provided, I'm just always looking at what's available.

In comparison I paid just over 20k for a 2009 crew cab pick up truck, 4x4 with less than 45,000 miles. Yet for only 5k less I can get a 150-160k diesel truck that is 6+ years older? Yeah, that's realistic ....

#17 ·
I HAVE to ask $16,000 for my LJ. It's what I owe and I son't have any cash to put towards it... I wish I could ask less so it'll actually sell.

That being said... I know damn well that situation doesn't apply for 95% of the ridiculousness I'm seeing in the used marketm

#23 ·
I think this is part of the problem for some people. They've rolled so many vehicles into the next vehicle to cover the depreciation so many times they have to ask what they owe and just aren't gonna get it.

That said, you are asking $16k but isn't your shit pretty low mileage?

#18 ·
Compared to what we have on our lot those are all a little high. Example; 04 Cummins crew cab short bed auto 4x4 161,000 miles for $17,000 (we have had it for about 2 months) Also it seems like JK Jeeps hold there money like CRAZY. I'm showing a 2004 Rubicon stick with some accessories, great shape, 138k, Hard Top, and no dents for 10,300 and I thought that was a good deal.

Just my .02

#25 ·
Compared to what we have on our lot those are all a little high. Example; 04 Cummins crew cab short bed auto 4x4 161,000 miles for $17,000 (we have had it for about 2 months) Also it seems like JK Jeeps hold there money like CRAZY. I'm showing a 2004 Rubicon stick with some accessories, great shape, 138k, Hard Top, and no dents for 10,300 and I thought that was a good deal.

Just my .02
Hmmm

#19 ·
I could not give my 02 explorer away 4x4 with leather 4 door pretty loaded. :blah::blah::blah:
I think the used market has been really odd lately stuff that is priced cheap and you would think would sell quick does not sell and stuff that you think is way over priced is selling...

#21 ·
I looked on and off for better than a year before i bought my Dodge. Gave 20k for it....09, well optioned, bone stock (tough to find), never been used hard (it was basically a mobile office), 160k highway miles, cummins, auto, fairly clean truck, needed nothing. I feel i over payed for a 4 year old, 160k mile truck but in the scheme of what is available in the market i stole it....bank valued it at 29k +. The market is crazy.

Speaking of crazy....have you priced a new truck lately :eek:

#32 ·
Holy shit. My 2009 Z71 is KBB'ing out over what I paid for it a year ago and almost 20,000 miles ago!

I "sort" of get it with 3-5 year old cars, but I don't get it at all with these 10+ year old cars you see for nearly 20grand.

974x4taco - Yes I have priced a new truck. I got one of those we'll give you $4 million dollars for your used car things in the mail. Too good to be true, but it wouldn't crush my dick to have a new 2014 silverado, so I went and checked them out....I'll be keeping my truck....

#31 · (Edited)
Believe it or not my LJ would be priced at $19,000 right now if I was still in Texas and it would be gone in a couple of days. Jeeps go for A LOT more money down in the south.

A friend and myself seriously discussed using our VA Loans to buy a truck and trailer and buy Jeeps up here and truck them down to Texas to sell for profit.

#41 ·
Not really. That had a slight impact, but not nearly as big as the fact that the short term used car market dried up due to leasing pretty much disappearing for a few years.

Used cars outsell new around 3:1 typically. When demand picked back up for used vehicles, the supply wasn't there.

#89 ·
Yea, they're pretty ridiculous.....buuut.....

a coworker of mine out here in Baltimore, MD just bout a 2014 Silverado. It has the new "mini crew" I call it, since they're not making the suicide door extended cab anymore, like Dodge did a while back...(wtf by the way??).....

He actually opted for the LT model. After talking with him, I learned a lot about the new truck market nowadays. He said he bought the truck up in Delaware. When he started looking at all of the $47,000 LTZ's and High Country models, it sort of hit him....

WTF do we need all of this extra crap for that they put in these things? That's what jacks the price up. It isn't the basic stuff used to provide simple affordable transportation. So he went home and took one of the option books with him. He started looking at what he REAAAALLLY needed vs wanted. With his selections in hand, he went back to the dealer and showed them and told them he wanted to order one. Turns out they had one on the lot with only like 2 seperate things different than his that he could live with.

He walked away with a 4x4 "mini crewcab" 6.5 ft bed, v6 silverado LT, cloth interior, power everything for like $30,500.00

After driving his truck with him quite a bit, the v6 has enough balls for all but the heaviest loads, and honestly I truly believe that probably 90% of the buyers out there who are getting the v8's truly have no use for them and get them out of napoleonic complexes. I never really considered a v6 truck, but if I were to ever consider a new truck, I would highly consider it. Not to mention, all of the bells and whistles cost money. A lot of money. To have your truck as luxurious as a Cadillac, with 20" plus rims on it.....well you gotta pay to play....

.....or you could be like my friend and realize you're buying a damn truck and not a Cadillac and order what you need and not what the big 3 WANT you to thing you need.

Just my $0.02.

Oh, anyone wanna buy a beat up 2000 Kia Sephia 5 speed, primer black paint with 126,000 on it? $4800 obo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.