Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

8.8 axle metric vs 5x5.5

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  FORD FLARESIDE 
#1 ·
Okay, heres the scoop....................

I picked up an 8.8 low mileage, limited slip, disk brakes, to swap out with my original 8.8 with drum brakes.
I was told it was 5x5.5 wheel lugs.
It is not, it is out of the newer Fords, and has the metric pattern.

I would still like to put this under my truck, but I'm not sure if there is some type of conversion to 5x5.5.............maybe wheel spacers/adaptors, new axles, ect.........

Does anybody have any ideas?

#2 ·
I thought the metric pattern was the same as 5x5.5, just measured in metric.. :confused:

I'd be curious just to find this out too.

*edit:

just checked some things, it's 5x135mm = 5x5.31496063" So I guess it isn't. I can't imagine there wouldn't be some sort of adapter. If you changed the axles you'd have to change the brakes too.

#5 · (Edited)
here's another option too

$100 for a pair

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_5_5_To_5_Lug_135_p/5550-5135.htm

As for are they safe, there's varying opinions on them.

I've got 1 weekend run on mine plus some trailering, alittle over 300 miles so far. My jeep is only a 4 cyl. but I do have 35 x 16 x 15 boggers on the axle with the adapters. After the first day, I wheeled like I would have without them and so far so good. Mine are 2 piece which most consider even worse than the one piece ones. I bought mine from the website above which was the cheapest I could find.

#7 ·
What was the axle out of?

Full size trucks from 1980-1996 used the 8.8 with 5x5.5 bolt pattern. Rangers/Explorers use the 8.8 with 5x4.5 bolt pattern.
I had my parts supplier run the numbers, and he said they match the axle out of a 99 E150.................I was told that it was a 5x5.5 by the seller, and I think the person who sold it to me honestly believed that. It's more my fault for not putting a tape measure across the studs.

I want to use this axle because it is very low mileage with the limited slip, and I want to run disk brakes.

#9 ·
...........except the issue might be in the wheels themselves.
I think Ford sold this wheel lug pattern only in the 16inch and 17inch rim. I already have all my rims and tires,..and they are 15 inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.