Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

apple cider, now more expensive than gas or crack?

5K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  homerdogeo8 
#1 ·
Been hearing a gallon is going for $9-12!!! Wowzers!!

#11 ·
Last season frost killed a ton of apples so the price is up.
Or what really happened. The early warm weather we had in the spring caused the apple blossoms to bloom early. We then got a few days of freezing weather which killed those blossoms destroying almost 90% of the apple crop in Michigan.

Last season doesn't have much to do with this years apple product prices.

#20 ·
LIES!!!!! THERE IS NO CIDER SHORTAGE. MY WORK DECIDED IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO SHIP ME 400 GALLONS A WEEK AT 9.99 A GALLON. JUST WHAT WE NEED. Yeah not really. But in all seriousness apples are hella expensive. Bulk apples are ranging from 1.79 lb to 3.49 lb for Honeycrisp apples and 3lb bags are right around 3.49 and they have said the chance of us getting any 5lb bags would be rare if we got them in

#21 ·
We're just in the wrong state.

KENNEWICK, Wash. — Washington apple growers are expecting a bumper crop this year as workers begin harvesting the fruit from trees around the state.

Hail in July tempered initial expectations for a record-setting 120 million bushels of fresh apples. But this year's crop of apples is still expected to be the state's second largest, said Todd Fryhover, president of the Washington Apple Commission.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/304fe1c9d7524f5cac643dfe7f2c7209/WA--Apple-Harvest

#29 ·
Parshalville usually gets its apples from the orchard just down the road from me. That orchard didn't open this year because there are no apples. This is the first time Muellers hasn't opened since 1941. Parshalville used to pay $80 per crate for cider apples. This year they are paying over $300 per crate. As BigBChevy said, they are using all Michigan grown apples but cider is at a premium because of it.

#34 ·
You sure did. However the freezing temps that took place after the bloom caused the flowers to become damaged to the point they couldn't produce pollen long enough for bees to do there job because carhart doesnt make jackets small enough to fit bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.