Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Super chargers and Turbo's

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dragginwagon406 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Im really dont know that much about superchargers and turbos other then installing a few. I really want to install a super charger in my ford. CVPI 4.6L. But im not totually against setting up a turbo system. Im Building a sleeper. Its all ready fast as hell. Anyway after a few search's I havnt really came across much. Any one out there have any exp. with a certin brand over another. I was looking to spend no more then 2k. As I have seen them range everwere from 1200-5000.

No nos engine has to many miles for me to want to use spray on it.

Thanks

#2 ·
S/C won't be much better if you're that worried about the engine. Unless you run a smallish level of boost. Or replace the headgaskets with quality ones, and then you're set. My Tbird SC is running a 10% OD on the blower pulley, and no problems after 100k miles, i attribute that to the nice ROL gaskets.

#6 ·
Yes, Im sure the great Blackbeast has installed multiple turbos and superchargers on hundreds of vehicles.

He also invented the Detroit Diesel. And gravity.

#8 · (Edited)
Ya in that price range your going to have to go looking for a used turbo or s-charger. however this brings up a problem with shaft play and worn out parts. so if you go looking at them, make sure to see if the turbo has much shaft play, and that the supercharger rolls over nicely. to be honest with ya, if its an older block, id just go for a slight N/A tune and be done with it, because if your already happy with how quick it is, the addition of a power adder, is just going to make you want more boost,,,more speed...its a drug. besides if your going to add any major power, your going to want to rebuild for the block to handle the added boost, and your going to want to invest in a good system. all this will definitely go over your price range, but that’s all your decision.

#10 ·
im still in the debate mode, as I might just redo ever thing with parts from the murarder. I have been some reaserch on the mustang forums and came across allen supercharges i can score one for 3k. O I have all ready been bitten by the speed bug but untill latley its just been on my bike..

#11 ·
you can find a good super charger for 3k. but for that much you could also make a good turbo setup. is the engine your boosting built lower end? and like others said up top, you should get some good head gaskets. the supercharger would be easier to controol boost with ( keep you in the safe boost area) with the turbo set up you could have boost spikes- and boost creep which could be the end of a stock engine.- dont forget you might have to do some ecm work, and ( depending on boost) you might have to get more fuel to engine/ bigger injecters.

#14 ·
NOS is onlybad for engine when ran wrong or to much for the build you have done done right it wont hurt your motor but requires timing and fuel mixture to be changed to run on motor or nos so you allways have to mess with it

That said
SC work constantly and allso can abuse the motor so if your worried about the motor allready better not use much boost. plus drags down the motor as its belt driven in your aplication, if the belt breaks the car is dead as no air/fuel can get by the impeller .. but easier to install and requires no exaust mods

Turbo's and the best all around power adder IMO as they come on only wheen needed, use the exaust to turn and frees up the pullies IF they fail the car can still limp home or on the trailer its just a choked out motor
but requirs exaust mods.... that all i have as I have never played with Ford SC or Turbos so I can tell you what to use just pointing out some pros and cons between the 2 incase you missed some thing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.