Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ditching cable/satilite?

4K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  kickstand 
#1 ·
I used to enjoy watching TV. At almost anytime of the day I could find something worthwhile to watch on the Discovery networks, Nat Geo, Spike TV, HGTV/DIY, History, BBC & Comedy networks. Now all that is on is fucking lowest common denominator, made for retards drama. YAY! storage shipping Amish tattooing pawning truck driving gold mining fishing lumbering fucktards!

For those that have gone that way of the netflicks and hulu how is it? Ive never had HBO or any premium channels so I won't miss them. I'd rather pay extra for good cable internet and stream everything else.

#3 ·
We do netflicks and video store. Not really watching much tv during summer and winter we do more but not enough to justify cable prices. Digital tv picks up pubic free tv, which has enough for simple shit to entertain and getting 2 for $1 and $1 is cheap tv watching. Caught up on all my house seasons and use hulu to watch new episodes of my favoriate shows. Plus download movies with netflicks through play station easy enough. Cable fails¡

#7 ·
I have been cable/satellite free for almost 3 years now. I am currently signed up with AT&T UVerse internet services. It costs ~$30 a month and is sufficiently quick for streaming videos and shows. I gave up Netflix when they went through all of their pricing bs a year ago. I use the free version of Hulu and it is enough for me. Almost always something to watch. Between that and Redbox, I am thoroughly entertained by mind numbing alternatives to exercise and reading.

#8 ·
I've been without television for probably a year. I also got sick of the complete crap that is on 99% of the time. I use Netflix, and watch dvd/blu rays. The downsides I see are no live sports, and shows like True Blood. I just download the shows the day after they're out though. I really used to like my Sunday night HBO thing that started way back with the Sopranos.

#9 ·
DVR eases some of that pain. Record what you want, and watch it when you want.

BTW, you shouldnt be watching TV until your jeep is completed and you are moved out of your "room mates" basement. Sorry, had to be the first to say it. haha

#12 ·
DVR eases some of that pain. Record what you want, and watch it when you want.
Even better - ditch paying for TV all together and get a Roku (or blue ray/ps/wii/ect that will stream hulu, netflix etc). Roku has apps you can get access to for live sports. Sure you pay for some of these apps but the way I look at it we still pay less than if we were paying for cable.

I'll even be streaming KOH live on Ustream on the Roku/TV versus on my computer. That's pretty neat.

#11 ·
Netflix is all i use. 9.99, and I don't do the renting of dvds through the month. I find myself watching less TV and spending more time in the woodshop.

#13 ·
I still have cable but the lowest package to get locals and stuff. We have Hulu+ and Netflix but the shows the family likes to watch aren't always on them and I find myself wasting a million hours looking through the list of shows trying to find something to watch before I actually watch it and waste more time.

#15 ·
Closed on my house in March, and just now getting internet at the house. Going without TV was easy, as you said, most stuff on is garbage not worth watching. I can count on one hand how many movies i've watched at my house, and less than half of those were watched to completion.

Netflix isn't too shabby, cheap enough as well. Two lone trips to the store to rent a 1 dollar movie and i've spent more than the month's price for netflix in fuel.

#18 ·
When we bought our house November 2012 we were going to wait to get tv untill we had a few projects done. We move in Christmas Eve. To this day we don't have tv. We went so long without it I don't miss it. We have Hulu and I don't really watch that even. For me I hate dealing with big company's. last month I had to get Internet for work and first bill.... charges for a modem when I payed $150 for one at radio shack. I hate dealing with that bullshit. Also we like to live cheap so we have money to go out a lot. Right now I pay for electric and a mortgage. Work pays everything other than those. It's nice not writing rippers to assholes who's idea of customer service is some sand lady "fixing" the problem and then trying to up sell.

#19 ·
With over the air HD and every cable company trying to fuck you, there has to be a shift in the industry. Intel is rumored to be coming out with subscription based tv with their own set top box and you subscribe to the channels you want. It would be nice to get the locals over the air and subscribe to a few channels and not 400+ channels you never watch.

#20 ·
I quit watching TV over 10 years ago and don't miss it at all.

I get my internet through Verison. It's kinda slow. Maybe when I upgrade to 4g it will be better.

#23 ·
I don't have kids loving with me and my house is a place I visit a couple of times a month. But the room I rent in IL has cable, but I still rarely watch it. (less than once a month.)

#25 ·
Also use netflix and Hulu plus, only had Hulu for a few months now. Hulu even though you pay if your watching anything newer(few days after is airs) then you have to sit though about 2 mins of commericals for a 30 min episode, anything older is commercial free like all of netflix. worth the money but even having them both I dont think im still gunna cancel my directv, Hulu is mostly fox network stuff even tho it has brand new stuff it does get old unless you like BS like "vampire diaries" or BS like that and Netflix is mostly older stuff. I watch dish alot less now, which prompted me to cut my movie channels and extras but I still like it for my local channels and tv stations or shows that arnt included in Hulu or Netflix.

#30 ·
You cant think of some sort of way to coax your man into getting you a roku box? I cant think of what might do it, but maybe you can? Hmmmmm, what could convince him that you really really want it real bad? HMmmmmmm

#32 ·
We still use Comcast. Our cell coverage is terrible where we live. We have both an AT&T and Verizon tower connected to Comcast to ensure we have cell coverage. Plus, we both work from home, so we need fast internet connectivity. So Comcast meets our needs. I HATE paying that bill every month though!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.