Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

'97 Ranger - incessant beeping and instrument lights staying on. *fixed*

756 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Captain Ledd 
#1 ·
I took my instrument cluster out and replaced all the bulbs with LED's (several were burned out). So far except for a few work great. Those that don't work, most of them I have never seen them on even before I changed them. The truck has 192,000 on it and we've owned it since it was about 9,000 miles old. I've had it all out before and this didn't happen, even had several bulbs out to check which sizes and types I needed to order.

and since it might be important... The lights that won't come on are the 4x4 stuff (it's a 2wd truck), the overdrive light, fuel reset light.

My battery light, parking brake light, and ABS light all stay on, and there's a loud beeping, not like the door chime, coming from the passenger side. I've never heard it make that beep before AND IT WONT STOP.

Anyone have any idea on what I can check or try? it's dark and getting late now, I'm going to flip through the owners manual tomorrow.

#2 ·
that beeping is the air bag module. i dont think you can use leds in some of the sockets.

the module goes through a "bulb" check when you turn the key on, if it sees something it dosent like then the module beeps, normally the light will flash, the flashing or beeping is actually a code.

#3 ·
Well that figures, I left the airbag light out because I was sick of it flashing at me. I'll stick something back in there and see if it shuts up.

#4 ·
Yup. That stopped it. I'm not wasting an LED on it though. I'll stick one of the original bulbs back in with a coat of high-temperature paint on it. I'm willing to bet it's complaining because I have the passenger airbag turned off. Either way I don't care what it's problem is, I just don't want it to keep flashing at me.

#5 ·
its flashing a code, count the beeps, there will be short ones followed by long ones or vice versa.

post the number of beeps/flashes and maybe i can help you fix it.

do you have a passenger air bag?

if so does the "off" light light up when you first turn the key on?

if it does not light up during the bulb test then thats your problem. you can either take the switch out and replace it, new from ford is 80 bucks, or take it apart and solder a new bulb in place. very common on rangers

#6 · (Edited)
no idea if it's burned out or not. It's stuffed up into the dashboard to make room for the CB. It's been off just about since we've owned the truck, I'd assume just leave it off. I know it may seem really neglectful, but I'm old fashioned I guess and still don't care for airbags.

You offer to help diagnose is appreciated, but my mind is kinda made up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.