Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Truck need starting fluid after sitting a week

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  booblinker 
#1 ·
It used to start after sitting weeks in like 2 cranks. Now after sitting for less than a week it needs a whiff of starting fluid, just a whiff and it will start and run fine. I am thinking my fuel pump is bad, and causing the fuel to go back to the fuel pump. Its a 69 F250 with a FE 360.

#6 ·
How is it a best investment? Is there something inherently wrong with the design of the fuel pump on the 360 fe?

mechanical fuel pumps work fine. Unless the lobe or tab that actuates the pump is damaged there is no reason to go to an electric pump. Actually there are probably more reasons not to.

#7 ·
At my work we had 4 trucks with 429/460 that had 4 barrel carb. No matter how you try it keep gas stay in carb. Amount of fuel in bowl would evaporate within a week.

How much it cost you to replace starter every year because you keep CRANK CRANK for manual fuel pump to prime gas.

These sudden start issue 4 years ago and it wasn't manual fuel pump issue. It gas that is evaporate faster.

#16 ·
have you checked the fuel pump push rod travel? i have seen on older engines the fuel pump cam gets worn so bad the pushrod barely moves. it certainly won't be enough to pump any fuel at cranking speed.

#20 ·
Ive had carb'd vehicles sit for weeks, probably months and not had this kind of problem.

Have you done a flow/pressure test on the new mech pump? Mebbe a clear fuel filter up near the carb to give an idea what's going on?

If an electric pump fixes it then its just masking another problem, but sometimes if shit works it works. Good luck with it :beer:

#21 ·
Fuel filter plugged? leak in gas line? If them are good the is there a leak in the gas line? The carb could also not be holding the pressure when shut off and allowing the fuel to drain back. There's a filter you can buy to fix that for awhile until you rebuild carb. Just thongs to look at

#23 ·
You should be able to pull the small screw on the side of the bowl to check and see if the fuel is staying in there? If the bowl is full and the level is set properly it should be up to the bottow of the opening.

Also, i'm guessing you could fill them up from there as well. That may help identify the issue as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.