Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Need Help Tracking Down An Old Police Department Revolver

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  SS 
#1 ·
Evening folks!

My grandfather was a Troy Police Officer from the 1950s all the way up until he died in 1984. He died a Lieutenant. Back when he was just a lowly patrolman the Troy Police Department issued the Colt Trooper Mk. III .357 Magnum 4" barrel to their guys. I know most police departments sell off their old duty pistols when they upgrade and I am going to attempt to locate the Colt Trooper Mk. III that he was issued and carried. I have almost all of his old duty gear and it would be absolutely incredible to be able to find that specific Colt Trooper that he carried in the holster I have sitting here.

How would I go about finding out the serial number of the revolver he was issued?

Also, How would I go about finding out who they sold it to when they retired those revolvers and tracking down its current owner now?

Any help you guys can offer would be extremely helpful as I start the path down this nearly impossible road.

My grandfather's name was Raymond Major if that helps anyone who might be able to look some stuff up or know any of the old timer Troy PD officers that are still around.

Here's a picture of some of the stuff I have including my own personal Colt Trooper Mk. III sitting with the duty belt and holster. The truly awesome part is... the duty belt fits me just fine. The holster fits my Colt Trooper like a glove and it's all still in absolutely awesome shape. Hell... that baton in the picture is the actual baton he carried and used in the 1967 Detroit Riots. I even have his old Troy PD riot helmet that he wore down there with a nice big dent in the top where a guy chucked a rock at him.

This is something extremely special for my family. Especially myself and my mother (his daughter).

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah. I'd try the Troy PD. I don't know how long they have to keep the records but I'd think they would be the best at telling you what was issued to him and might even be able to see if it registered to anyone now. Again that hopin they have kept those records.

Hope you have some luck finding it.

#4 ·
Good luck in the search.

I've got some of my Grandfathers riot gear from the 67 riots. He still has the M1 he purchased because the Detroit Police Department had no high powered rifles at the time. I'd like to have that one day, he retired in 76 but says he still needs it for protection. :sonicjay:

#7 ·
He was also Sergeant Major for a while too :sonicjay:

My cousin (who has the Major last name) was in the Marines and had a field day once he made Sergeant. Fucked with people bad when he would walk in and someone would say "Good morning Sergeant Major" :sonicjay:

I'm going to hit Troy PD most likely tomorrow to start the hunt. I'm really hoping I won't have to do a FOIA request or some shit like that.

#6 ·
my grandfather had an old 357 not sure on make that he won from a cop when he was a teen. he beat the cop in a drag race. cop said he could not be beat. so an the end he ended up giving him his gun. but he ended up selling it before I had the chance to get my hands on it.

good luck finding it. I would love to find my grandfather's old gun.

#13 ·
That was my thought. In this case, its a noble purpose. But how is it different, then, say, someone researching a gun that killed some famous gangster, and then plotting to find the new owner, and go steal it? I would figure that most gun owners don't want the government telling strangers about your guns...

#15 ·
Department paperwork is public information unless it is sealed by court order for some reason (think the Sandy Hook debacle).

I'll need access to their department property books and the paperwork concerning the sale of the pistol once retired from service by the department. All public information.

From that point on I'll most likely have to find the person who bought it way back in the day (hopefully they're still alive) and go from there.

This is a different situation than if I was just hunting down a pistol that was privately owned from the get go. There's no way to go about that... but the paper trail up until it was sold by the department is fair game.

Who knows? Maybe Porscheguy has it :sonicjay:

#12 ·
The trooper mkIII was made for 13years, and issued to most LE departments all over the U.S. If you happen to find it, please submit the story to the NRA. I read about a member who tracked down his father's M1 Garand. The odds are definitely against you, but best of luck. I have a few Troopers and my blue 4" MKIII is my favorite!

#18 ·
Here's my first update for you guys and to tell you that I have officially started my search.

I contacted the Troy Police Department Property Unit after being referred to them by the Records Unit.

I explained the situation and the woman I spoke to on the phone was extremely friendly and became rather interested when I explained what I was trying to do. Naturally the records going back that far aren't computerized for easy look up so she will have to start her research in going through the old log books. I was able to leave her my name and phone number and she will be contacting me as soon as any progress is made.

Here's to hoping she can locate those old property books to find the serial number of my grandfather's issued revolver and maybe even who it was sold to when it was retired from service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.