Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Trailering advice...

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BigBlueBurban 
#1 ·
Well I just bought an 87 F350 in Mount Pleasant and have no real way to get it to Traverse City, let alone a place to put it when I get the POS up here.....basically just bought it for the drivetrain.....Anyways.....

I've been considering getting a trailer for the last couple of years as it is, because I don't like the idea of running down the road in my wheeler what with all the cops and liability and all.....only problem is, I don't really have a "trailering friendly" tow rig type truck. What I have is a 96 GMC Sierra Z-71 Regular Cab short bed.....horribly useless for anything truckish in my opinion....but I really gotta work with what I got. I have pulled a YJ before on a trailer behind it for a short distance before. It did fine as far as powerwise to pull....It's got the Vortec 350 that still runs strong at 180,000 miles, but you really have to balance the load on the trailer just right so ya don't get too much weight on the tongue of the trailer and get that "ass down, nose up" look on the tow rig.

What I'm wondering is long distance wise, for towing a rig thats maybe 5000 Lbs on a 1500Lb trailer, how do you guys think this setup would fare? The wheeling rig is an Extended Cab Ranger with 38s and 1 ton axles. I understand it won't handle anywhere near like a dually crew cab truck would witha diesel, but for hauling the rig a couple hundred miles maybe once a month, what are your opinions on using my truck as a temporary tow rig for maybe the next year or so till' I can get something better?

Zach

See less See more
#4 ·
I towed several times with my friend's truck identical to yours. It did very well with loads over 6000lbs. Like you said, that 350 vortec has the power. It's no dually but it pulled ok in my opinion. I had trailer brakes and sway bars too. With that setup I would go wherever I needed to with no troubles.
Hope that helps a little....

-Sean

#5 ·
X2

Get trailer brakes and controller, sway bars will help you can even add a leave or two in the back to help the suspension. Im sure you allready know but you can dictate some of the tongue weight by the load placement on the trailer.

That truck should be rated to tow somewhere around 6500 - 7000 lbs so you should be ok.

OR you can buy my Super Duty:naughty:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=70927

#7 ·
The leverage of the trailer length to the truck length will be what gets you. I towed a 26' enclosed behind a 89 F250 4x4 diesel std cab with a slide in camper, the power and the stopping was not the problem. It was a white knuckle drive to say the least a truck going past or a wind gust or even uneven road would toss that thing all over, and it had Reese hitch with sway bars. I wouldn't let anyone drive it but me. It was even worse without the camper on. That truck got replaced with a 97 Ram ext cab 4x4 dually diesel. The extra length and dual wheels made a unreal difference. My girlfriend could drive it down the road now. I pulled the trailer once with my 01 Ram ext cab 4x4 short box and won't be doing that again unless I have to and I am only going close. Be safe.

#8 ·
Well right now Im workin about 80-90 hours a week tryin to save for a Super Duty Extended or Crew Cab, Long Box 4x4 witha diesel. If I didn't have to get the truck I bought out of Mt. Pleasant when I do, I'd just hold off till I got the new tow rig. Thanks for the advice and I love your Super Duty, but I'm about $7,000 short right now.....talk to me in about August / September and I might be interested. Thanks again.

#12 ·
if you're worried how the truck's going to handle, use a weight distributing hitch. for years we towed a 27' chriscraft with twin I/Os, weighed in right around 10k pounds, with our suburban (454, tow package). with the hitch, it pulled like a caddy with the just the right amount of sag loaded up with 3 kids and two adults. you'll be fine. just make sure you have trailer brakes and have them dialed in correctly - don't skimp with braking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.