Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Rear brake pad removal on a 00 Silveardo

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  KILLER"B"468 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads on my 00 Silverado and the upper caliper bolt is a friggin star drive and is also too close to the rear leaf spring pack to get a ratchet in there to remove it. Does anyone have any clue how to remove it?

Thanks!

#2 ·
mtxbigtruckin said:
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads on my 00 Silverado and the upper caliper bolt is a friggin star drive and is also too close to the rear leaf spring pack to get a ratchet in there to remove it. Does anyone have any clue how to remove it?

Thanks!
I believe it is a T55 I break them loose then pull the 2 caliper bracket bolts remove the caliper bracket and caliper off. Then finish removing the caliper bolts.

#3 ·
So you just use an allen wrench style torx wrench to break them loose? I only have torx sockets and it's too tall to fit between the caliper and leaf springs. Another person told me that you can just take the bottom bolt out and swing the caliper out of the way, ever tried that? I would think you'd still need to break the top bolt loose.

Going to the Dunes this weekend, if I have to I'll let the rear slide, they're not too bad, replaced the front, they were easy and they had normal hex head bolts on them! Damn Engineers! Why differ from front to rear? I wonder some day.

By the way Killer B, the Lockers and T-case chain you helped me with are still rocking almost 2 years later!

#4 ·
you can just remove the caliper bracket bolts. But I reccomend you to loosen the caliper bolt's first they can be a bitch to break loose. I used a breaker bar and a short torx bit. Just to loosen the caliper. Then remove the caliper bracket bolts and slide the caliper and bracket off the rotor. Then you will be able to take the caliper off the bracket since the bolts were loosend. I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.