Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New offroad park in Canada.

10K views 103 replies 26 participants last post by  rolledb4 
#1 ·
Last week while pre-running for Gitchee Gumee, GLFWDA was invited out to check out some private land by the owner. She has 122 acres of absolutely awesome Canadian property! It has mud holes, steep up hill dirt hills with rocks and rock courses. She currently has about 15 different trails and from what little we saw, on a scale of 1-5, the difficulty ranges from 3 to 5+. There are rock challenges that will push the limit of any vehicle including buggies.

Her goal is to turn this into a park type setting. The current setup is $10 per day per vehicle and you have to sign a liability waiver. The property is roughly 20-30 minutes outside of Sault St Marie Canada.

This is the same property the Loonie Run is run on.

If you are interested in checking it out, contact Charlene at 705-781-2201.

Recognize that this is a start up venture and is currently very primitive.

Ironman will be posting pics of this soon.

#81 ·
We are not in these pics, we were at the back of the pack helping people with winching, everyone in that group helps out. The pics are from two days some friday it was nice then a lot of rain friday night and some rain on sat. I run a red TJ but was Co-pilot in Dale Cusinos stretched TJ v-8 60s and longarm 39s white not in the pics but there and had fun.I drive 9 hours every october for it.

#83 ·
holy shit you guys are like a bunch of old hens,but i am glad that you worked it out.as for the wheeling it is great up here,and you ussally won't see people drinking that r wheeling in my group i don't drink not even at home in my lazyboy.them pics grizzy posted don't show beer cause they wheel with me at least 6 times a year and very rarely even drink at night(i know this they have all been guest at my house or camp and are nothing less then exellent guys. i know wr and grizzy both they love the sport of wheeling and helping people out so let us all be are own person and enjoy the sport we all love,i know if you WR met grizzy you guys would get along great but if not, don't wheel togther there is enough trails you wouldn't have to cross path. i would just like to wheel and learn different shit from everyone so i hope i see you all up in canada once this 4 feet of snow melts i can't wait :chiefwoohaw::stan3::woot::rock::stan:

#90 ·
Yeah, I've had a couple pm's with Grizzy. After having a non drama discussion, I agree that his idea is valid. There are those that want to wheel more hardcore & never get the opportunity.

Look at it this way: If you and all your pals have really just gotten into wheeling at a 35", dual locked level but don't know a lot about it or don't have anyone you hang with that has done it, for the most part you will be left out of the small groups that are heading out. So, how would you learn? And a GLFWDA type event is not really structured for this level either. So, you may be willing to pay someone to set up your reservations and spend the time to teach you. Many times the guys who are really experienced don't have the patience to wait for a newbie to struggle. So, Grizzy & company would go with the attitude that they aren't really there to wheel. They've been there, done that. They are there to entertain clients.

Quite frankly it works for me.

Now regarding a run up there, I have some commitments this spring but also have some open time.

#91 ·
if you are just camping in a tent you can stay at the prop.there is glenview cabins about 15 mins away that where you where chad.and blueberry is a nice spot too and is about 10 min.and don't forget us locals who wheel it every weekend don't mind lending a hand and waiting for the newbies can't wait to meet and see you guys again

#92 ·
Sorry to barge in here folks!

I'm a local in the Soo who has wheeled the area in question several times.
In my opinion the trails there are second to non as Griz stated,I have watched this guy wheel his jeep and to say he is skilled and his jeep works well would be an understatement. It also one of the smaller rigs and is amazing how well it tackles the terrain there.

One would be wise to go on a guided tour with Griz, Curly, Q and others that wheel there often as they were there almost from the beginning and know their shit! They'll make impossible look easy.

It is true that in the past some have indulged in many beverages and "tobaccoes" of sort but that is their business and not anyone elses. This isn't focused on one group or one person at any time.The owners and operaters are not idiots and would never allow anything to get outta hand. Moderation is key and if exceeded or the safety of others is compromised I'm sure Curly or Charlene would intervene! Adults should remain and act as adults.
The fact the terrain is insane should not discourage, if your tires are too small for something there then try harder or go around.

Beating your rigs is your choice and is never caused by the terrain or obstacles. If you think your in trouble stop ,rethink and make a decision to avoid , continue or choose to go around.

As Griz explained earlier this area is hardcore and not for the novice wheeler but I don't think he was saying anyones rigs were not capable or shooting down or questioning anybody's driving skills. If you choose to wheel there it will be an eye opener I guarantee, no-matter how much experience you may have.

Also! Congrats to legal ownership of the property. One would be wise to purchase the 257 acres around and behind for expansion. A call to A. Ross would work wonders. He is in a position to sell cheap right now.

#94 ·
Sorry to barge in here folks!

Also! Congrats to legal ownership of the property. One would be wise to purchase the 257 acres around and behind for expansion. A call to A. Ross would work wonders. He is in a position to sell cheap right now.
Rumor has it you have a little extra cash laying around...why don't you buy the property:poke:
If your still into wheelin', not sure on that part haven't seen ya online in a while.

#95 · (Edited)
Thought about it a bit but decided against it. I started a business a year or so ago and it really took off recently. Now I don't seem to have the time for much of anything fun at the moment. Outta town more than I like and I have lots of people to try to keep busy. Hiring 8-10 more people in the spring may help. But I still wheel around my own propertys every other day I can that I'm in town.

I'm swapping my old 61 scout 80 body onto a 2003 (lifted but stock) rubicon chassis that came with 44 boggers on it when I bought it. Someone stole it and rolled it to steal the tires but they got caught before finishing so I bid with insurance company and got it. Super low mileage and complete with all the rubicon options .

And tinkering with putting my little diesel into a VW Iltas with a custom lift kit to handle 38's. I don't think there is any of these lifted and few with a diesel. They are the little Canadian military shitboxes that look like an amphibious jeep of sorts. I bought six in a government auction so I figured I'd safety one for daily bomber and have a trail rig and parts for both.

fill me in on this rumor you speak of !!

#98 · (Edited)
Property is directly behind and also beside Charlenes. (actually two seperate lots sold as one unit). It has access to the hiway and is not land locked. The fellow selling is a good guy and presently he wants 60 or best for 257 acres that has been moderately logged off and kinda full of skidder trails and ruts. This lot is 1/2" off of Charlene's so I would say the terrain is close to the same.Actually part of the top trails are on this lot by mistake but Charlene knows the guy so I wouldn't think it's a problem! He is willing to make someone a deal. He also has connections to the other joining propertys.

The business is something lots of people are interested in.

Hey there Mr. M , Why not get GLFWDA to make a land purchase. I can set it up for way less than the realestate people here would. Let me know if you are interested and I can tell you what my plans were. Charlene purchased hers in july 07 and without that property it didn't make sense for me to act on my idea. She should buy all the land around and rezone it. There is mega potential there for lots of things including the 4x4n.

#100 ·
Hey there Mr. M , Why not get GLFWDA to make a land purchase.
Make no mistake, there's mucho conversation going on behind the scenes right now. Will need to see legal desc. plus walk property to get a feel for exactly what is there. It's not that no one's taking your word for it, but some of us just have to 'kick the tires' to get a feel for it.
Any idea on taxes or zoning of the property? Would hate to get stuck with something the local gov't has objection to recreational usage on. That happened over here in the states and the owners are still in court over it.
jim-kb8ymf

#101 ·
I have just found out that Char is trying to purchase the lots. We'll give her first dibs as it makes the most sense for her to join it to her lot.
If however that falls through or a deal can't be had between her and Mr. Ross, then I would be able to and more than glad to provide the info you require.
I had a real cool proposal I was discussing with Mr. Ross but it would have conflicted with Char's plans I'm sure so I backed off to be fair cause I can't devote the time that they have been, plus the seller is looking to sell as soon as possible and I wanted to survey the lot more but the snow came hard and faster than I cared for.
She has a jewel in the rough there and expanding would be great for her and the wheeling community if simple rules and laws are followed.
Anyways , hang tight to see how she makes out and we'll go from there. I think thats more than fair to all parties involved .

#104 ·
I gave him a simple and profitable idea but I'm not sure he completely understood what I presented to him. He logs local lots and usually gets rid of them quickly but this one was logged late and the snow came early. He's called twice and spoke in person with me about it to see if I would make use of it. If Char doesn't grab it ... it will most likely still be available in the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.