Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

TOW RIGS, pics, opinions.....

6K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  Mclovin 
#1 ·
Here is my current towrig

1997 F250 Powerstroke Superduty 4x4, 311K miles

And the trailer (it has wood decking on it now). 25' long (19' flat, 6' dovetail)x 100" wide. Dual 6K mobile axles, both with brakes.

LIKES-
great MPG on the highway, about 19 mpg. 60 mph I can get about 23 mpg. Ext cab is badass. My first towrig was a stnd cab and I never had enough room. The ext cab makes backing up the trailer a little harder, but its worth it.

It was cheap (as most diesels are now)

4x4 is a must for me.

DISLIKES-
Wish it was a stick

Hayes trailer brake controller. My old one was a Drawtite. I really didn't like either of them. I've heard the best is Prodigy. The Hayes and drawtite don't seem to apply smooth under low braking power.

I wish the trailer was a gooseneck. City curbs are now my bitch.

And right now I hate the Lions too

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
You had an older diesel Ford before that if I remeber, right? How does the PSD compare to the older IDI diesel?

I'm lookin' at buying a 7.3 IDI/5 speed F250, price is very good but I'd be running it as my daily driver as well, the price of diesel has been a little discouraging though.

#6 ·
yup, i had an 89 IDI 1 ton. It had plenty of torque to tow, but not much HP. The PSD honestly puts the IDI to shame.

however, the IDI is insanely easy to work on, only takes 2 wires to start, etc...

The IDI got 14 mpg tops, my PSD gets 20+

#7 ·
this thread is supposed to be for everyone to post their tow rig and their likes and dislikes with it, SO POST UP

#8 ·
Tow Rig
2000 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2L l4 120 HP 140 lb-ft torque w/ 100K miles

Trailer
Putnam Towbar (very lightweight)

:dunie:

Could use some more towing power, you know a V6 might come in handy when going not downhill. also a trailer might be nice :tonka:

#10 ·
Bones said:
Hayes trailer brake controller. My old one was a Drawtite. I really didn't like either of them. I've heard the best is Prodigy.
Brakesmart (not in production right now pending negotiations between MasterBrake and BrakeSmart) is the BEST, but about 3 times the cost of a Prodigy. So that's why I have a Prodigy. Love it.

#13 ·
I rebuild the axle hubs on our our trailers once a year, and replace the brakes on the car hauler too. The axle tubes are trussed with 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron. I think the axles are in better shape than most car hauler trailers out there. Plus, I only wheel enough to take my trailer somewhere about 6 times a year (actually it hasn't moved in 2 years).

#15 ·
GerkTJ said:
2001 Chevy 1500HD, crew cab short bed 4x4, 6.0L motor. great truck and comfortable. jeep trailer is 16ft with brakes on both axles, about 12" off the ground.
what MPG do you get? towing and empty.

#17 · (Edited)
GreaseMonkey said:
:sonicjay:
That don't look much like a tow rig jeff !
here's mine

1988 chevy built 350 small block all the goofy high schooler add onz ! Yea i thought i was preatty fly for a white guy ! Drawtite brake controller Works OK but hey it was FREE! Wal mart bought combo 7 pin 4 pin connector mounted flush on bumper inplace of liscense plate light as far as MPG 3 maybe 4 if im lucky i dont reallyt know.. but its not even cclose to good !!!

USA Trailer Sales 18' Dovetail brakes on one axle :junk: Self storing ramps heavy duty D rings on deck, Removable Fenders (very nice option)
The whole combo tows VERY WELL but it's a LOUD experience runnin noting but a glass pack with 3" pipe dumped right before the axle 2800RPM gets really loud just for 45 min drive to the mounds !

Tows a ton better than this anyway ! My previous set up before our new 18' Dad's 04 short box bare bones 1500 Silverado but it did have the 5.3 and a Rented UHAUL trailer

And my soon to be Tow vehical 2002 2500HD 8.1 Crew cab

#18 ·
Bones said:
this thread is supposed to be for everyone to post their tow rig and their likes and dislikes with it, SO POST UP

Okay, I don't like your tow rig.:stan:

Here's my V10 with 285/75's and the factory 4.10's & LSD. Yes, I wheel it:

It now has a front 2" spacer lift, 35's and 4.88's with a Detroit in the rear. Back when I had it on 265/75's it actually saw about 120mph a couple times according to the speedo.

#20 ·
3.55 and 265/75/16s. I'll bet with those mods you like to hear her whistle... thats where you'll kill your average lol

#25 ·
my tow rig was a 2003 gmc 1500 2wd ext til i fell asleep and wrapped it around a tree

Check out the bark on the hooks and in the bumper only 35 mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.