Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

who doesn't own a TV? thinking of pulling the plug

3K views 39 replies 35 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
I really like TV... no, i will say that i LOVE watching tv. Lately i have been noticing that my food and diet coke intake goes up proportionally with my television viewing. This is augmented by shorter days outside and cold weather. I am thinking of cancelling my dishnetwork (i do not have an antenna on the home, only way to get TV is get it piped in).

it may be very interesting to see how this change could impact my time at the gym (which is covered with tv's with news, sports, etc channels)

discuss

#5 ·
i figure my wife and i now each own road bikes, golf clubs, and snowboards, we have also both run 2 1/2 marathons, but lately have both been in a funk. Now that i am out of school, i have probably 20-30 hrs a week i was studying, and have nothing to show for it. Its not an excuse of not having the equipment necessary to get active, it's that doggone boob tube.

i agree with the above, maybe stick to a DVD on occasion

#6 ·
I quit watching tv several years ago when I got rid of the cable for it. Only thing I use it for is movies. It is a drag not knowing what movies are coming or what looks good, but it's been so long that it don't matter.

The computer on the other hand...............

#7 ·
:sonicjay:When we bought the current house the first thing I did was cut the cable line going to it and throw it in the ditch, Followed by chaining my truck to the SAT dish and pulling it out of the ground. Recently had cable installed JUST for the internet and SOB if we are not in front of the stupid box (TV) for a couple hours a night. Time to sharpen the linemans.

#9 ·
g/f tried pulling this shit on me two years ago... she cut cable down to FM like 9 channels.. that was the worst 2 or 3 months ever!!! and this was summer time when I was out sailing 4 or 5 times a week... I just like it to watch discovery channel, history channel and a few others, and back round noise while working

#14 ·
I don't really watch TV much, just sit on the internets. It's kinda good though because I can get all the info I want or need off the internets. However I wish I had an Xbox 360. Then again I'm scared I won't leave, I remember when I first got my Sega Genesis. Sonic 2 was visual cocaine to me as a kid.

#40 ·
I won't watch cable at all without a DVR. Unless I'm in bed and it's on for noise. If my wife didn't object I'd love to cancel it completely. Anything worth watching is available online.

I'm so tired of $100 a month bills. Cable, cell phones, etc...
I've noticed that too. No matter what they sign up price is, eventually it will end up being $100/month....

#17 ·
I went all summer with out it at camp and can Honestly say It was Great! We try not to watch TV too much. I like it for Noise more then anything. Our house feels naked with out the noise. It's an Addiction I got from growing up with the TV always on in my house.

#20 ·
I quit watching tv 3 yrs ago, and haven't had pay tv for close to 10 yrs. The wife and kids still watch it, but the only thing I use the tv for is renting movies. We usually only have the tv on 1-2 nights a week. Read alot more books and listen to the radio. Get alot more projects done too. I get my news and weather online or on the radio.
W/ 3 kids, I cant get rid of it completely (tried) but I think we have it cut back to a healthy amount of viewing time for them. New rule I made for winter break is 1/2 hr of screen time (includes anything w/ screen) for every 1 hr spent outside.

#21 ·
I had dish net work and it was the suck. it was the same shit over and over. I just canceled it and the summer was quieter. the kids played outside more. I just bought a 42" flat screen for my newly remodeled living room. the kids like to watch movies. so they tend to do so in there rather then their rooms which both have 27" and players. my youngest whose 12 has discovered the library in town has movies, so he makes the trip every week now

#22 ·
I cancelled my cable last year. I have "rabit ears" for the local news and the two shows I still watch. The kids have PBS or read books. I don't have to battle the "I wants" created by commercials.

It was the first and easiest bill to cut. I don't miss it one bit.

#23 ·
I find the internet much more time consuming than TV. I can put something on in the house or garage & go about my business while casually paying attention. With the internet, I end up glued to the damn computer. If I was to pull the plug on one or the other for more free time, it would be the computer.

#32 ·
Why be tethered to a system you dont have any use for? i cut my cable line when I moved into my house and it dangled for a couple years. They wouldn't come out and remove it. Then, one spring the ice build up in my gutters got too heavy and pulled the gutter down, along w/ the cable wire. My neighbor is an old lady and she freaked out since there was a cable from a power line pole lying on the ground. A couple of frantic calls from her to Consumers and the cable guy was out that same day to remove the cable completely. I never told her it was just cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.