Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

ranger trans and t case question

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hosejockey4506 
#1 ·
i have a 99 2wd ranger with a 5 speed in it

trying to make it 4wd what needs to be done the the trans to accomplish this.

#6 ·
x2 if it were an auto I just swapped my output shaft and removed the tailhousing, bolted 4wd tailhousing on, bolted t-case up and presto! :) The rest of the conversion was a mutha though :sonicjay:

#7 ·
Couple Questions to make sure (and because i'm not sure on some of them)

Is it an Edge model? (just curious)

5 speed Auto or the 5 Speed Manual?

Are you doing an SAS of the front to accomplish 4wd or Factory 4wd Ranger parts? (I know the question was about the trans, but I'm curious)

The easiest route would be to go to a junkyard and find a 4wd version of the transmission you're looking for, and get the whole assembly. Each engine has it's own unique bellhousing patern, so you need a trans out of a vehicle with the same type of engine. 4 cylinders are a bit special: 2.3L and 2.5L up to 2000 are the same, 2001 2.3L and newer are the same. They will not interchange between those years. All other patterns remain unchanged.

#8 ·
the main shaft will have to be changed. if you can not do the shaft swap yourself then a 4x4 trans from a yard is your best bet.

good luck finding a good 4x4 manual trans !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.