Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

model 88 maverick recoil

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kodiak450r 
#1 ·
i have a model 88 maverick 12 gauge. I put on a tactile kicklite stock on it.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SHT-286

and this gun still kicks my @$$ when shooting slugs through it.

I've shot remmington sluggers out of it once and never bought them again LOL
now I have Winchester super X 2 3/4" 1oz rifled slugs. I have a long smooth barrel on it right now with a modified choke. I wanted to put on an 18.5" barrel on it as I want it for home defense. buckshot doesn't kick as hard but when I shoot slugs out of it it kicks harder than my mosin nagant it seem.

does anyone know of a lower recoil slug ammo? will the shorter barrel increase the recoil? i'm 5'9" and 165lbs so kinda small but I've been shooting since I was 10 and have never had a gun whoop on me this badly.

#3 ·
Lighter weight, slower slugs will kick less. Remington has their "Managed recoil" Sluggers, which are 1oz slugs with a lower velocity, but may only reach out to about 75 yards effectively.

Why you would want to use slugs at all for a home defense shotgun though is beyond me, the point of a shotgun is a spread of shot.

But I hear you. I recently had to diagnose a problem with a guys 870 at work, he said it was wildly inaccurate. I boresighted it, and he asked me to shoot it. Pulled a group fine, but my shoulder hated me after putting some 300gr Hornady SST's down range.

#4 ·
the slugs are just for going to the range because well... i like shooting stuff :finger: i have the regal low recoil buckshot and military grade 00 buck that sits in it while it's laying around the house... i grew up using my dads mossberg 500 but i'm open to the idea that i should be shouldering it wrong now that it has the new butt stock on it.

#5 ·
My brother has the same gun. I believe it is chambered for 3-1/2" shells. He gave me it with one in it... I shot it once, gave it back to him and told him never to give it to me again... That fucker kicks like a deranged mule... I will stick to my Winchester model 12...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.