Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone ride a 250 four stroke?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  jeepguy74 
#1 ·
I am looking for some advice. Someone offered me a 04 rmz 250 four stroke and some cash for my mustang. I have always rode 250 2 strokes and I am concerned that it might not feel like enough bike for me and would probbably end up wanting to get rid of it for a 450. I have never thrown a leg over any four stoke dirt bike so I have no idea. When the four strokes were starting to become popluar I was told that the 250s were compareable to the 125s and the 450 were about the same as the250s. I am not looking to start a 2 stroke 4 stroke battle, just looking for some advice from some people that have actuallty ridden both. Like I said I have never rode one my self so if any of you have ridden both 2 and four stroke dirt bikes your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Me and my brother have been riding for over 20 years. I have a YZ 426 four stroke he has a YZ 250 two stroke. I have always been curious what the 250 4's could do so I have been trying to talk him into buying one :)

I don't want to risk it because that is what I have read and heard as well, that they are significantly less bike than a 2 stroke. I can't step down just yet maybe when I get a little older I will, looking forward to a 450 in the next couple of years for now :)

#10 ·
FWIW the RMZ 250f in the first few years ( as well as the kawasaki, because they merged their R&D for a few years on joint venture to try and catch up to honda) had a filter in the bottom end that would clog and lunch the motor in short order. I would stay away for that reason alone.

As for the 250f it is more bike than a 125 but less than 250 2 stroke. As mentioned earlier, I have beat countless people on larger bikes simply due to riding ability. Also, the 250 2 stroke now races with the 250 4 strokes. If I were still racing I would be on a 250 2 stroke for that class for 2 reasons 1) more power and lighter bike so fast and good handling 2) If your good enough to actually ride a 2 stroke well you will be at a huge advantage.

#11 ·
2 strokes are higher maintance but are cheaper to rebuild than a 4 stroke....mix gas in a 2 regular in a 4....the 450 is a bit more power throught the power range than a 2 stroke 250 same with the 250 4 stroke to the 125 2 stroke....it all comes down to personal prefrance...i think anyway....i am running a klx 250 rite now but have had 250 400 and 600 cc 4 strokes ans well aas haveing 125 2 strokes and250 2 strokes...i like the smooth power of the 250 4 stroke.....and it cant be beat for makeing a little cheap power like just putting a jet kit in it and air box mods and takeing the end cap of the muffler to unkork some power........
what bike are you considering????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.