Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Lower Mi ORV trails.

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Easy_E 
#1 ·
I didn't know what section to ask in hope this one is ok. We try every year to take a trip to the UP for a vacation. This year I know our daughter will want to run a jeep by herself so I thought to save time and trouble we would do some trail riding in lower Mi .
Last year we did some trail riding in Gaylord area while nice the trails were more like roads. We found some spots to play but not much. Somebody at work was talking about trails up in north east end of the LP ? He said there was some good wheeling there.

We would like to rent a cabin near or on water with a town near by and good trails. I haven't ran this by the wife yet . I thought I would have something ready to look at first.
Thanks

#9 ·
drummond island. ORV trails, great views, great food and if you want hard stuff, go to Turtle Ridge. I know its in the UP, but you can get there so fast on I-75 that it is worth it.

#10 ·
We stayed at drummond a week last year and was my choice again for this year. The wife said we've stayed a week the last three years time to change it up.
We stayed a week in Grand Marais two years ago for the music fest . She wants to do that again and I wouldn't mind other than bringing three vehicle gets costly.
Great suggestions guys please keep them coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
If you are more focused on a non typical town to visit, I would suggest either Petosky during any of their numerous festivals, or Alpena in July/Aug and piggy-back on the brown trout festival. Both have fun little downtowns, plenty of places to rent on the water.

As far as the trails and offroading, you would be limited to the normal backroads unless you went to a park. There aren't many fun ORV routes in northern lower, but there are great dirt roads for exploring in almost every county.

#12 ·
Take a look at Copemish. You have Twisted Trails, numerous seasonal and forest roads, Crystal Lake in Beulah is only 20 minutes away. When the club from school goes we stay at Crystal Adventutes Cabins and being a ski/snowmobile destination you get off season rates. Copemish is a small town but Beulah has everything you need. The cabin place offer atv rental and a short drive to a river of you want to fish or float down it. Crystal Adventures has plenty of room to park. We show up with three or four trailers and five or six other rigs and have always had room.

#13 ·
There are a lot of ORV Routes in Roscommon Co. Remember, for a jeep you'll need to be on routes, not trails.

#14 ·
Thanks Mike I didn't realize how many trails that county had .
I've been looking at the trail maps and I don't understand some things ? Like on the map below the routes for ORV's go a short bit the end ? Do they normally end on main roads ?Also they show the rock coarse with no trails leading to it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.