Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

u joint problems

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tonkatruckon44s 
#1 ·
i have a 1989 k5 blazer with a sm465np205 combo in it but both joints on the rear driveshaft keep going out on me and this isnt wheeling its just daily driving its been about 6 in the last month idk what is wrong only 1 has been the one at the axle the transfercase one has broke 5 times is there something i am doing wrong. btw the blazer has 8 inches of suspension lift but the driveshaft angles arent that bad at all so i dont understand.

#2 ·
Is it held on by a strap or ubolt? If u bolt you could be over tightening it causing it to bind. Also if you blew a few ujoints your yoke is probably messed up. I fought the same thing as you and finally took a u joint and put it on the yoke, tightened it down and it bound up because the yoke was mared up and damaged. new yoke no more problems

#6 ·
That's why I asked for a pic. There are plenty of two piece shafts on 4X4's
I wasn't assuming anything just yet but both yokes need to be in phase if the d'shaft has a slip joint in the shaft or it's a slip joint in the t'case.
If he's going through u-joints almost weekly there is something drastically wrong. It might be bent also.
There's always more to the story..................
j-kb8ymf

#8 ·
idk if you would call it a one piece or two piece shaft because the slip yoke is on the shaft like it is on a front shaft because a 205 is a non slip yoke and i believe it is either a 28 or 31 spline not qite sure but i gotta find a new yoke now because my buddy said it was a "ujoint broke" but he snaped a ear off the yoke

#9 ·
go find an np208 with the flange and cardan joint front shaft. you'll have to source the flange seal but that's only 6-9$. find a long piece of tube with the same ID, remake shaft, done.

add some trans fluid to the shaft, keep the slip at about 1-1.5" each way. weld one end at a time providing time for it to cool so you don't create a pressure vessel with the oil.

tuh dah, a 40-80$ driveshaft that solves all your problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.