Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project: 1 piece at a time, 5.3 powered 1 ton Toyota.

102K views 707 replies 66 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my trailrig. 85 toyota pickup, 22re, 5sp, single 4.7 case, 5.29's, aussie front, welded rear, rear springs up front, 63" chevy springs in back.

See less See more
#2 ·
Its a rust free southern truck, I got it from Tn built like this. Those pics are from it's first bundy hill trip. That trip showed a few issues. The biggest is the front tires hit the cage, bind, and snap the axle shaft:sonicjay:, so that is being fixed.

I recently bought some longfield axle shafts, trailgears trunion bearing eliminator, knuckle rebuild kit, knuckle ball gussets, ARP steering studs as well as some other odds and ends and I have them almost in. Also have some cage work, planed as well as some other stuff as my wallet allows

#3 ·
One question I have. I want to get a fuel cell, I also plan to get a set of 35's so I can do some of the tt races in the small tire class, as well as maybe the dirt riot race in trail stock, things like that. I have been researching the and I am kinda uncler on exactly what I need for it to meet the rules. I want a aluminum one. Any suggestions on one would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Worked on reassembly yesterday. Was doing good till I had a momentary lapse in brain function and screwed up one of my new steering studs. :(

A note on the trail gear trunion bearing eliminator, while I am certain it is a better, stronger setup, it is a royal pain in the ass to get shimed correctly. I tried about 20 different combos before I got it where it needed to be.

#7 ·
#8 ·
So far for this rebuild I have needed

8 studs
14 bolts
10 nuts
14 washers

Total price for said fasteners ~ 110$

I guess qualiy, somewhat specialized fasteners are exspensive LOL. Ohwell, quality parts are not worth dam if they are not securely attached so I guess it is worth it.

#9 ·
Got a couple hours to work on it today. Get the rest of the old hardware out that is getting replaced, made brackets for my 5th stud and started drilling and taping for the hub studs. This pic shows the difference in the new and old. Shouls no longer have to worry about sheering them and I get to ditch the dam cone washers :woot:

#14 ·
Got the axle all back together and the truck back on all 4's. It should tollerate the 38's pretty well now.

Next up is some work to the exo to make it a little stouter and do something with the low hanging gas tank.

I know it's a little ghetto but, iş there any blatant safety issue with pulling the stock tank, spinning it 90*, then straping it down in the front of the bed under the cage. It is in great shape, would fit perfect, would be easy to plumb, and is already setup for the truck.

#16 ·
Fixed the cage today, should be well clear of the tire now, no more binding.

All I gotta do now is fix a steering fluid leak and she is ready for a shake down run.

#17 ·
Got the leak in the steering fixed today and discovered a new issue...the amount of fluid required for the steering to work when running is larger than it will hold when off so when you shut the truck off it backfed and overflowed the resevoir. So out came the tools and I built a new high capacity resevoir out of 4" exhaust tubeing and parts of my old.one

Works great, no more overflow

#18 ·
At this point it is done till I get a trailer to haul it with, then I will be working on a few more things. I flexed it out on the only thing I could find and confirmed that the tires do now clear.

#19 ·
I should also mention the previous owner left 3 mossyoak air fresheners, a mossy oak steering wheel cover, and a mossoak cd organizer in it when I got it. Those things make it hardcore right?

#22 ·
Thanks!

There is a part of me thay wants to paint it, but I also love the retro look. You can buy the graphics new from a couple sources but they are dam expensive.

#23 ·
Won a 50$ gift card from jcr on facebook so I used it to get a pait of shackle tabs and shackles since I needed some better tow points. These things are nice, and beefy!

#25 ·
The steering did not pan out....when it came in the mail it was not the heim steering kit that was advertised....it was a "y" link setup useing gm tierods. So I sold it to a buddy and I am just gonna replace the bad tierod I have and run with what I have.. Also looking at winches. Gonna get one and build a new front bumper and spring hanger soon.

#26 ·
Fixed my steering leak....again.....over the weekend, also installed the new spring hanger and new tierod. Also worked on reenforceing the cage. Will snap some pics later in the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.