Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Chevy Dana 44 Cut & Turn For Scout

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Carbon 
#1 ·
First off I have a 76 Scout 2 chassis that I am building into a truggy. Has IH 345 v8, Dana 44's front and back, s10 cab, bla bla bla so far.

I have been doing a bunch of research on the cut & turn, Chevy vs. scout axles, steering, SOA and all that stuff. I have found so much good info and I am sure most if not all of my questions have been answered.

I do how ever have a few questions, but just to be clear.

I plan to pull a Dana 44 out of a 79 GMC 3/4 ton. The truck also has a rear Corp 14 bolt which I thought about running but am quickly changing my mind as it will hang down so low. Both axles have 4:10 gears which I am planning on starting with. The scout has 307 gears which is no good to me.

I was going to go full width with the Chevy Dana 44 and Corp 14 but now plan to keep the Dana 44 rear in the scout and cut & turn the front Chevy Dana 44 to fit my chassis. The reason I plan to do this is that the SOA is already done with the Chevy axle, the gears I want are already in the Chevy axle and not having to grind into the scout axle to mount my perch on the short end is a better idea as far as strength.

So my question is: other then having to get 12* shims for the front and getting my caster correct the front should be easy. I plan to use my scout hubs and what not. What will I be needing for a drive shaft? The front one is quite dinky. Also I need to figure out my steering. I have heard "Z link". The rear will only need a gear change as its already SOA and pinion angle is good.

I hope I explained what I am doing and have made my questions clear. Thank you for all the help in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Z link is a hack job get a flat top knuckle for the passenger side if the chevy axle doesn't already have one and do cross over or full high steer. You can use cj 30 spindles and chevy half ton calipers and brackets with your scout hubs and rotors to work with the chevy knuckles.

#4 ·
Front axle is on the trailer and out of the 3/4 ton. Drivers side has flat top, passenger doesn't. Will have to find one. Will most likely go high steer if everything works out. If anyone else has any ideas to help me out let me know. Time for more research.

#6 ·
Front axle bolted right it just need to get my pinion angle right and fab up shock mounts. Rear is under the truck. Need to pick up some spring perches as the 3/4 ton springs sat out a bit further. Next ill be building custom drive shafts.

#9 ·
My plan was to cut and turn but after some research i found more people having drive line issues due to bad pinion angle. How many degrees off is my caster do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.