Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

GL4x4 Motorcycle Club

271K views 2K replies 230 participants last post by  booblinker 
#1 · (Edited)
Show off your motorcycle.

mine: 1982 Honda CM250

Duffman, I know you're itching to post some pics! :)

See less See more
#271 ·
I was wondering, how do you guys dress while on your bikes? Are there any weekend pirates on GL4x4? You know doo-rags with your puddin' bowl, leather vest, etc.

Or are you ATGATT- All the Gear, All the Time?

I'm on the atgatt side, I wear a fullface, textile jacket, textile overpants, boots, and gloves (unless I'm just around town @ 25 mph).

#272 ·
I used to be good about atgatt, now I am lazy and usually ride in a t-shirt and shorts, unless I am hitting the E-way then I try to put on the leather and gloves, need to get some pants soon though.

#276 ·
I might be looking into a dirtbike soon. Guess it would be good to learn on or whatever. The guy at the local dirtbike shop suggested a 250 4-stroke, and I'm thinking Yamaha. I didn't know a 4-stroke would be better suited for me but oh well.
I'll be hitting up the desert so nothing but wide open space to screw around on. I'm not sure if there are classes that are meant to be taken for dirtbikes or not. I just don't want to look like a total douche out there since I've never ridden.

#278 ·
I'd consider a Honda over a Yamaha. Every Honda I've owned has been dead solid reliable, even the ones that sat abandoned for 10 years fire up with minimal hassle.

Yamahas, well, most of the ones I've had get carb or electrical problems if not kept scrupulously clean.
And a 4 stroke is a more forgiving bike to learn on. Plus they live longer. Everybody on a 2 stroke will pass you like you hit the brakes, but they will be rebuilding their engine twice before your first oil change (OK, that's an exaggeration all you 2 stroke guys)

#282 ·
I was pretty set on Yamahas just because growing up my friends seemed to have had those bikes. They were old and crappy but ran real well. I'm trying to find a mid-90s Yamaha 4-stroke 250. I have no idea what to look for or what the names mean - 250, 250f, etc. This bike will probably only see desert, as that is the only real type of terrain to go on around here, unless I want to hit up the rocks which seems like it would hurt.

#283 ·

Honda 250 Elsinore

Quite possibly the best bike ever built by anyone anywhere.

If it still has the lights, it will be street legal, will take an absolutely astounding amount of punishment, and doesn't even care if you never change the oil. There should be a bazillion of these things in you area.

#296 ·
I took the insurance off mine last week, This week made me wish I hadn't...

I am taking the dirtbike to my folk's house this weekend to play out in the woods. Hopefully there aren't any bowhunters out there on Sunday.

#289 ·
that springer front fork is WAY better than that super long chopper fork. Good job + Cool bike history.