Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

School me on the 5.4 V8

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  MilwaukeeF350 
#1 ·
I don't know much about Fords, but I'm going to look at a 2003 Expedition eddie bauer with the 5.4 V8 with 134k on it. For some reason, the only things that come to mind are they are known for throwing bearings? Am I wrong or is this a good, high mileage engine? Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Coil packs go bad causing misfires. Expect to blow several spark plugs out. Drill and tap head then install metal sleeve in head. Vacuum out cylinder. I personally have done at least 45 of these repairs. The number is individual plug holes not vehicles. I've never owned one and never will. My .02

#6 ·
Had a 2001 f150 with the 5.4, sold it with 203k on it and I still see it driving around. Only real issue I had with it was the exhaust manifold would crack on the right side. Replaced it twice. (Stock, original exhaust) other than that, no engine issues other than the occasional ignition coil.

#8 ·
The spark plugs aren't an issue after late 01. If they're maintained well they will run forever. I just gave my father my 02 f150 with over 325k on it that had never had more than a tune up done to the engine. Only three of the coil packs have been replaced.

#13 ·
The 04+ 3v engines had the plugs that would get stuck in the head and break, the 2V engines sometimes would blow a plug out of the head due to thread issues.

They have tools for either issue and really is not a big deal anymore to fix.

Every make out there has issues, there is no perfect truck.

#14 ·
The 04+ 3v engines had the plugs that would get stuck in the head and break, the 2V engines sometimes would blow a plug out of the head due to thread issues.

They have tools for either issue and really is not a big deal anymore to fix.

Every make out there has issues, there is no perfect truck.
This

My parents have an 02 f150.

I don't know what keeps it on the road. They do no maintence, and drive it like shit. Its over 250K and plugs haven't been changed since 100k. Trans fluid has been changed once, coolant flushed once. oe diff and tcase fluid. Never had an exhuast leak from the manifolds.

Other then suspension parts, 1 or 2 altenators, they do nothing to this truck, hell they go 7-10K between oil changes on basic motor oil.

The dreaded spark plug issues are so few and far between. I see maybe two every 6-12 months in the shop I work at now and the shop I worked at on the other side of town.

You could buy a hemi and still have exhuast stud and manifold problems, or maybe broken valve spring problems. Or how about a chevy and STILL have exhuast manifold bolt issues, with the chevy its common for it to take out the converters, don't forget about the crack in the plastic intake or gummed up throttle bodies.....

there is no perfect truck

#11 ·
Wow, sounds like they bring the suck! Think I'll pass on this truck, thanks for the info guys. Sucks cuz it's a nice truck, but I don't need any Ford headaches.

#15 ·
I have a 2000 F150 with over 230,000 miles on it. Very little maintenance done to it. Starting to feel a little tired if you punch it on take off, but plenty of balls when passing someone one. Have never had any issues with the spark plug blow out. Had 2 coil packs go bad and that was well over 150,000 miles, they are easy to replace and really not that expensive. I would by another one in a heartbeat.

#16 ·
My oldman has 01 f150 with 200k on it. Im doin exhaust manifold tomorrow.
Trans went out at 140k.First plug spit out at 100k and second at 130k.I lost track of how many coils I have put on it,at least 6. Every brake caliper has been replaced due to locking up.

And spitting plugs IS a big deal. The first one happened when I was using the truck.Pulling a 24ft trailer and my race truck.A 100 miles from home. That was a very big deal.

Dad tried to give it to me earlier this year to replace my 94 F150. I passed.

#17 · (Edited)
I own tons of 5.4L.

2 F250 2wd. Mpg was 15-16 city/hwy
#1 had 240K end replaced engine due neglected coolant ate alum head. Still running.
#2 had 200K still running in Chesterfield under new owner.

4 E350 passenger vans. Mpg was 10-18 city/hwy
#1 had 550K blew up head gasket it leak oil out. Junk it.
#2 had 230K but body rot off.
#3 had 366K but driver didn't check oil so it done.
#4 had 152K Zero problem.

1 Expedition Mpg was 14-19 city/hwy
Had 157K back in March 2013 now it had 181K so no major issues. Changed spark plugs, FLUSH cooling system it was NASTY, and new exhaust manifold with studs.

#18 ·
Your saying you have racked up 1,895,000 miles on 5.4 motors and never spit a plug or lost a coil? Never cracked a manifold?

#19 ·
Bought "USED" and drove for 20-60K.

Only I had issue is crack exhaust manifold on Expedition that all it is. It not that hard to change them if you had mig welder and grinder.

Coil packs is other stories I just go to junkyard pull all coil packs off good engine and save 3 in glove box. 8 coil packs for $15 VS $60 at auto stores.

Never had spit plugs and I don't ever use torque wrench. Just tight like you think it need. Most time spark plugs come out were LOOSE not tight enough.

#20 ·
Don't forget head gasket issues on those 5.4L it common issue from factory defect. It leak oil out head. It no major issue. Just keep pour oil it will last.

I know one guy in Brown City had 00 E250 with almost 400K. He said it been leak for 200K. Use 2 quarts every 2000 miles.

When I want buy I bring flashlight and go under to look at both heads for any wet spot like oil. If none or very tiny wet spot is no big deal. Expedition had old wet oil spot on both side it haven't been leak yet. Knock on wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.