Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Attention Winos:

4K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  kkodet 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to buy a nice bottle of wine for a friend.
Unfortunately, I am winetarted... therefore incapable of making this purchase without guidance.
Help me buy the right wine, one red, one white.
Go!

#18 ·
Wine is my adult beverage of choice so Im a bit familiar with it. These days Ive been sipping on red blends, Menage a trois is my favorite. Dave Matthews is in a joint venture with a vintner, they have a blend called Dreaming Trees "Crush" very good, harder to find than Menage a trois. Third favorite is Apothic Red, good stuff but doesnt finish as smooth as the first two blends I mentioned. All these blends are under 20.00

#27 ·
One of my wife's favorite wines. VERY sweet, as most late harvests are. She is basically a hummingbird... :teehee:

I'm not trying to pair this wine with anything, its sole purpose will be sipping.
Unless you know the person's wine tastes, you may want to play it safe with a good non-offensive red and white.
If you have a local wine shop they usually can give great recommendations if you give them a price range.

#21 ·
Lemon Creek is a cool place to go. Go in there and tell them you know noting but would like to do a tasting. They will walk you through it and give you 5 pours that you can pikc for $5. This way at least you tried it and it will open your eyes. Pick the one you like best and gift. You will probably end up buying a bottle for yourself.

The thing with wine you almost need to know what kind of wine the person enjoys. Reds, Whites, Sweet or Dry. I tend to go more for the Dry reds like a Merlot or cab. Others like the sweet Reislings. But you probably don't know what they like so do a tasting and pick one. It is fun to do. Once you develop a pallet cheap wines like boones farm and stuff $5 or under just taste like crap.

#24 ·
Support Michigan wine?

These guys are doing it right, making fantastic reds.
http://www.2lwinery.com/index.cfm?m...tegoryid=95b6c5f4-cdf6-f729-40bb-ad771fc67dae

Recommendations:
2011 Cab Rose
2011 Pinot Noir

If the white has to be a white and not a rose.
2012 Pinot Grigio

Too Expensive?
https://www.bowersharbor.com/all-wines?zenid=ja6oih6r8s3afeasaf6g3sfq12

Recommendations:
2011 White Cepages
2010 Red Cepages - I've turned so many people on to this wine, it's just an awesome table wine that everyone loves. Good with pizza, burgers, steak... If you can get the 2011 it's just as good and usually $11.00. I seriously buy this wine by the case when I visit their tasting room.

#38 · (Edited)
Michigan and Niagra region wines have been impressing me. California wines, unless pre-2005ish vintage reds are a waste of money due to the long drought there.

German Rieslings are a good bet if she likes sweeter wines, French reds if she prefers dry.

A traditional celebratory wine is Italian Moscato, which is a bubbly white. A higher end bottle of that will run you $30-$40.

I used to be quite the wino, with a 300 or so bottle cellar at my old place, but switched over to bourbons 5-6 years ago so I've been out of the current trends but am glad to help with what I may know.

#39 ·
Oh, and I blew out the rest of my collection in a huge vintage wine tasting party last winter. The hands down crowd favorite was the 1977 Chateau LeSparre White Bordeaux. Everyone was a huge fan, no matter personal preferences. You can still find it through online retailers for around $350 a bottle if that is in your price range?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.