Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#191 ·
Yup, will be at OSTC. Mike, yes, we're gonna flex it a little at the mounds today if it doesn't rain. Lucas, it comes with a 2 year, unconditional warranty on all parts and labor & no deductable. I highly recommend the guys that did my build because I hear that now that they have done a jeep link setup, they are offering the conversions at a discounted rate. :tonka: We didn't end up running the exhaust around the front like we had discussed earlier.
Scooter built, actually it's closer to 7.998" off the ground. And Kelly, um, there's just not much to say about you.:miff:

#199 ·
Did awesome!:thumb: Got it flexed up pretty good without any problems. Didn't really take any pics. I know RenegadeII took quite a few. Here's the only poser I took.

I had a couple issues that were not related to the build. I discovered that as soon as my gas gage hits red.............

I am out of fuel.:stan3:

Also, I have had problems with np231's in the past and I have known that mine is on borrowed time. Well, it looks like I have a crack in it......... so it's time to order an Atlas.:woot:

#203 · (Edited)
Also, I have had problems with np231's in the past and I have known that mine is on borrowed time. Well, it looks like I have a crack in it......... so it's time to order an Atlas.:woot:
I just so happen to know an Advance Adapter dealer, talk to you soon eh Jimmy!

And congratulations on a beautiful build, those Maozzloa's do good work!

#202 ·
Actually felt quite stable. I don't yet have a real good feel for how far I can push it. We ran it down the road up to about 40 or so and it tracked nice. Wiggled the wheel a little & it felt loose but there were only 5 pounds in the tires so that would be expected.

I didn't notice any weight difference but I caught myself thinking the trans wasn't shifting when it actually was. It would be hard to think I would notice the gear ratio change (4.56 to 4.88) but that's all I could figure.

#207 ·
I don't know yet but the Atlas ratios seem to meet my needs better for running paddles at the dunes and bigger tires on the trails. But, I just discovered I don't need to rush into things. I pulled the t-case and there is no crack in the housing. The front output seal is trashed. I just can't figure out how I did it. I'm guessing that when I blew the front output last fall the metal part of the seal got bent & I didn't catch it. I didn't pull the entire case but rather just the back half while underneath it so visibility was limited.

So, a new seal tomorrow and I am back in business.:thumb:

Pat, I am going to figure out what I want and we'll be talking. I know Bryce doesn't need his yet so with any luck, we can do something by end of summer.

#209 ·
So here's why I need a new transfer case. The np231 just won't hold up to the abuse. The first problem I had was that I cracked the front case top to bottom right beside the front output. So, I welded it up thinking that it was a fluke.

In the mean time I had replaced it with a different front case. On my next outing, I did it again to the new case......... no longer a fluke. So, before I installed the one I had previously welded, I added some aluminum gussetts. So far, it's held up.

But next, I broke the front output shaft.:(

Time for a new Atlas when the budget allows.:thumb:

#212 ·
..........Time for a new Atlas when the budget allows.:thumb:
After looking at Atlas & Stak, I'm going Atlas.

If your talking late summer or fall, lemme know and we can see if Pat can get a better deal ordering three of them. I just spent about $1k less than I thought I would on a NV4500 :woot:Atlas money.

#210 ·
So all your failures have been on the front side of things? I'm a little worried about mine but I have a tera low kit that replaces the entire front half of the case with a stronger one so that should help. Plus I have nowhere near the power you have (yet :thumb: ) so I hope the outputs can hold up to the weight of the one tons and 40's. At least for awhile. Are you thinking 3 speed still or just a happy medium 2 speed?

#211 ·
The only problems on the t-case have been all on the front. I figure it's from the moment arm of the offset output. The rear doesn't have that since it is a direct in line output. If the tera low kit uses a different front case you may not have the cracking problem but unless it upgrades the size of the output shaft, that is still at risk. Mine broke on a steep hill climb where I got the front tires in the air & didn't get off the throttle quick enough.

I think the ratios of the Atlas appeal to me more for dune running. I changed gears from 4.56 to 4.88, so I really want to do a run at the dunes with the paddles & compare the current np231 ratios to see which way I should go. The other consideration is the interchangeability. I have heard rumors that when changing to a 2 speed Atlas or Stak the driveshafts have to be changed. If you do the 3 or 4 speed, they don't. That alone almost offsets the price of the multi speed box. But, that may not even be true.

At this point, I want to do a little more research. Dunes here we come!

#217 ·
WhiteRhino, you still bummed that you bowed out of our KY trip?:tonka:

Sounds like that would have been a bit much of a shake down run, maybe good you didnt make it.

#222 ·
That's the last time I'm gonna back my jeep out of my trailer to help you:stan:

It appears that my fuel pump may be taking a nap. It worked fine for the whole weekend till then. Haven't had a chance to look at it.

Dam, don't you have any good vids to post in my build thread? Especially after you posted silverxj struggling up impossible right after I smoked it.:poke:

#226 ·
Mounted up the paddles last night for a dune run. With the wider axle and lower belly it should be pretty stable.

With the wider axles and no fender flares I think the sand will be flying.:sonicjay:

It looks a little goofy with the shorter paddles since the suspension was set up for a 38-40" tire. But I'm hoping to be able to glide over the dunes instead of bouncing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.