Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

cop mobiles getting faster

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Christmas Cookie 
#1 ·
http://autos.aol.com/article/chevy-...utos.aol.com/article/chevy-caprice-police-car

Well, it's official. General Motors has resurrected the Australian-built Zeta sedan for North America, only this time around, it's just for the cops. Set to arrive in your local muni's police fleet in 2011 is the Chevrolet Caprice police patrol vehicle (PPV). First thing's first: it is not the Holden Commodore, a.k.a. Pontiac G8 (rest in peace). It's a left-hand-drive version of the long-wheelbase, Zeta-platform Holden Caprice/Statesman. Many of you already know that this car is also sold in the Middle East as, you guessed it, the Chevy Caprice. Also, as had been rumored – you can't buy one. It's a fleet special only, and we can envision fistfights breaking out over these at police auctions in a few years.

The Caprice Cop Special gets an E85-compatible 6.0-liter V8 dishing out 355 horsepower and 385 lb/ft of torque, and as you'd expect, the engine's duly ruggedized for police duty with oil, transmission and power steering coolers, along with a heavy duty alternator. And yes, the brakes and suspension are uprated. Cue the Elwood Blues litany whenever you're ready.

Inside, it's obviously outfitted with all the toys, including seats designed to accommodate officers' gun/equipment belts, a front-seat computer, and all the other stuff you'd expect to find in a police car. And since the fuzzmobile's based on the LWB sedan, there's plenty of room in back for you to relax should you find yourself involuntarily sampling the rear passenger seating. Actually, with your hands locked up behind your back, it probably won't be that comfy after all. Check out more photos of the Caprice PPV in the Autoblog gallery.

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually, with your hands locked up behind your back, it probably won't be that comfy after all.
Did a road rally and one of the objectives was to get everyone in the vehicles picture taken in the back of a cop car. I was shocked at how comfortable those molded seats were back there with your hands behind your back. :sonicjay:

#4 ·
depends on how you rank 'the match'.

the vast majority of PD's in the US won't hardly have any funding to maintain their salaries and fringes, let alone acquire new fleets in 2012 at the prices that carbon keeps floating around.

#15 ·
It was originally slated for the GMX551 (zeta based) Impala, but the Impala was delayed and moved to the 35X (FWD)Epsilon II) platform. We worked on the police cluster a while before it was cancelled. I've seen quite a few of those caprices in civvy trim down at the tech center in warren. I think I posted about it a year or two ago in here. They look nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.