Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Diagnose this?

2K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  MudGrl 
#1 ·
What's wrong with this picture? :sonicjay:

See less See more
#3 ·
All I know is when I woke up this morning, and I went in the basement this afternoon, there is about 2" of water in that area. It's a rental, too (the house that is)...but I have to take care of it...well the water that is. :sonicjay:

#7 ·
In the picture, the bricks on the left is the north side of hte house and the other wall is the east side of the house. On the east side of the house, on the outside of that wall, there is a layer of bricks on the ground which is like a patio or something? I guess it's putting pressure on the foundation of the house which is causing it to leak? I dunno. I guess the landlord knew about it when he bought the house, too.

#10 ·
What's wrong with this picture? :sonicjay:
No boobs in the picture. :sonicjay:

Actually you have there a classic case of leaking basement walls. It's leaking now because the ground is frozen, except for where is meets your basement walls. So all the water is leaching down and getting trapped between the brick wall and frozen ground. Since the blocks are somehwat porous the water makes it's way through. The least expensive thing you can do is get the water away from the house (longer extensions on the downspouts), or add more soil around the foundation. The basement really needs some type of permanent waterproofing. But that's some big bucks.

#12 ·
Yeah he said he knew about the foundation problem when he bought it, but was going to let the next owner deal with it because it's like $5,000 to fix. I was going to buy the house...but I'm not going to anymore. :sonicjay:

#15 ·
LOL
Yes but it is still a big pain in MY ass. :sonicjay:

Especially if I'm going to have to keep dealing with this everytime we get a lot of rain. :sonicjay: It didnt' happen last summer so I'm going with FranknBrew's response.

#17 ·
I won't be in the market for a house until next year. I need to get crap paid for first. :sonicjay:
Plus, as of this morning (before I saw the leak), I just renewed it for another year. :miff:

#21 ·
I think it's cinderblock stuff. I don't know. I just looked at the thermostat...it's says i'ts 63* in here but it's set to be at 68*. No wonder I'm freezing. :sonicjay: Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't renew the lease. :sonicjay:

#24 ·
I worked with a girl that had black mold in her attic and her & her boyfriend were sick for months on end. They didn't know what the problem was until they went up there to get something.

#25 ·
:-|
I should explain myself. There are alot of types of molds. The black mold that is so infamous for causing so many problems and spreading so rapidly that it really cannot be stopped is very uncommon. There are 'black colored' molds but should not be confused with black mold (stachybotrys atra). If you are suseptible to respritory problems them most any mold will agrevate the issue. Unless disturbed many molds won't bother people and will stay pretty contained to the wet area.

#28 ·
It's a digital thermostat. I was dealing with the water issue I didn't even pay attn to the heat at all. :sonicjay:
I turned it upt 80 to see if it'll kick in. The red light on the thermostat is on, which I assume means that it's sending the signal to the furnace that it's suppose to kick on. Well, the red light stays on and I never heard the furnace kick in. Normally when the indicator light turns on, I can hear what almost sounds like the pilot light being lit then the furnace kicks in. Well, the furnace isn't kicking in and I don't hear what I think is the pilot light being lit.

Oh yeha...it says it's 63* in here.

#30 ·
Great!
I emailed the landlord and we have electric heat, if that helps much. Hopefully he can get somebody out here tonight or else we are going to freeze tonight. Thankfully i have a space heater in my room and I have a heat blanket on my bed (this house has no insulation in it...I swear).

#32 ·
:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:
THis email is pretty funny (from my landlord...my big bro & I rent the house from his buddy)

Yeah, there is... We had this happen a couple of times... Your Bro
knows the drill... And chances are he would be there before I could get
there and light it anyhow.

Or give it a shot. You are pretty mechanically for an IT wiz... It
should have the directions down there... Just don't burn off your
eyebrows... If you burn the house down just give me a call from the
hotel and let me know you are OK....
:sonicjay:
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to light it. WHen I use to watch Rescue 911 back in the day, I remember a guy that was lighting the pilot lot on the furnace and he blew up along with the furnace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.