Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Geothermal units

12K views 94 replies 44 participants last post by  fullthrottle 
#1 ·
Getting ready to drop some coin on a geothermal set up. I had one contractor out today but I'm interested in getting a few quotes...so anybody have contractor that knows the heck they are doing in genesee county?

#9 ·
Dont wast your $$ on Geo! Its all a sales gimmick! Stick to normal HVAC stuff you will never save $$ with geo. I own a HVAC co! Would not sell the stuff its a rip off you are tradeing a gas bill for a electric bill. But if you do go down the path closed loop only. And no I dont go that far but if you need me to look some one good in the area who would love to spend a lot of your $$ let me know!

#24 ·
My friends have deep well(?) geo thermal.
Swear it's paid for itself. But the funny thing is they have set back there thermostats, house is cold! Closed off parts of the house and heat their large family room with wood fireplace and new insert. They basically stay in the family room, to stay warm.
I challenged them to set thermostat to 70 and open all rooms. They said they can't use the whole house so why heat it all.
I said well you use to, and to be fair in your comparison you need to.
But
I'm not saying that Geo thermal isn't better.
Just pointing out that they ( friends) are not comparing their actual heating usage.
Wonder if others are doing the same.
I heat with a wood boiler. I went from wood stove,From propane.
I use 2 times the wood. But my whole house is now heated and pole barn. So I don't compare my usage, or costs.

#25 ·
20-50k quotes is the norm. So I hear.
No f'ing way I will be able to keep up with the Hancho's :(

My patio set me back and my new roof going on today has me spent for the rest of this year.
No filet migons and lobsters for me. Going to have to stick to ribeyes and shrimp :(

#30 ·
I just built a new house with a closed loop geothermal water to air system. It is about 2400 sq. ft with all electric appliances, hot water heater included, and out highest electric bill was $200 dollars last winter. My previous 1000 sq. ft ranch regularly had a gas bill in the $230 dollar range. My elctric bill the last few months this summer has been between $20 and $50. I plan on living in this home until I die so I am assuming it will pay for itself.

#41 · (Edited)
I cant believe you are giving up on the wood burner. Dana was rite. BTW, it sounds to me like between the $ spent on the wood burner and now the $ you are about to spend on Geothermal, you will be back in black by the time you are 70. Just fire up the furnace and enjoy.

KickStain beat me to it.

#45 ·
Ugh, why would he do that? He could just convert it into a steam pressured electrical generator to work hand in hand with his geothermal system, he'll heat his house with water and run his geothermal and lights off the generator he can convert the boiler into and then be totally off the grid forever mostly not at all because he'll still have face space and gl4x4

#47 ·
So a couple of things I've learned in this thread. None of you can afford a system like this, none of you that has responded in this thread knows what the fuck you are talking about. Everyone thinks they know better. Mr green thinks I'm rong about everything not Dana. I've run my boiler for five yrs not three. I planned on dumping the burner after ten yrs, so I made half my goal and I'm okay with that

#48 ·
So a couple of things I've learned in this thread. None of you can afford a system like this, none of you that has responded in this thread knows what the fuck you are talking about. Everyone thinks they know better. Mr green thinks I'm rong about everything not Dana. I've run my boiler for five yrs not three. I planned on dumping the burner after ten yrs, so I made half my goal and I'm okay with that

#55 ·
I got quotes from 15,500 to 21,500. getting a closed loop put in next week for 16,000; along with a hot water preheater, new hot water heater, and a built in humidifer. I know people that have open loop systems and love them. I dont have air now and my propane furnace is over 20 years old. By the time you get a system large enough for your heating needs, cooling is more than ample, plus I don't have an outside eyesore unit for air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.