Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ground bees (help)

13K views 102 replies 43 participants last post by  dreezy 
#1 ·
Best way to kill ground bees that are under the deck. :(

#46 ·
As I've read, sometimes they are connected underground, and sometimes they are separate. I don't know, I just want to kill all of the bastards. If you hear a giant WHOOSHING sound and have trouble breathing for a minute, later to tonight, it just means that I lit the hives up. :thermonuclear:

#47 ·
The problem with burning them out is that although it makes you feel good you can't get the entire hive. I had tried that method several times. The pyrex bowls over the holes is still somewhat satisfying since you can see the little bastards looking to the sky but can't get out and the best part is you kill them all this way.

#66 ·
Cost is relative. You can probably get some guy to "rebuild" your transmission in his back yard for $50 or someone to tattoo you in your kitchen for ten bucks. Heck, I'm sure you could even find a surgeon that advertises on craigslist. Are any of those a good idea? No!

The reason you hire a pro is to get the job done right the first time. And you pay for quality like that.

"Bee Killer" in a can is just about as effective as "Engine Restorer" in a can.
So, what you're saying is you never do anything yourself? You always hire out a trained professional? Never changed your own oil, never fixed your own truck, never worked on your bicycle as a kid, never mowed your own lawn (I mean those guys are way faster right?)

Sure, I assume you have some sort of certifications to kill bees, and I know you're a pretty handy mechanic, but did you wait until you were fully certified and trained before you ever fixed your own car?

#67 · (Edited)
No, not at all. But when I'm in over my head on something, and know it, I don't have an issue hiring a pro.

If this was a wasp nest, something small, sure. But as you read in these posts, these guys are taking days to handle a potentially life threatening situation. Like trying to fight a four alarm fire with a garden hose.

There is no over the counter product that is available to the general public that can effecticively and safely handle the situation. This is simply a wrong tool for the job type of deal.

#72 ·
No, not at all. But when I'm in over my head on something, and know it, I don't have an issue hiring a pro.

If this was a wasp nest, something small, sure. But as you read in these posts, these guys are taking days to handle a potentially life threatening situation. Like trying to fight a four alarm fire with a garden hose.

There is no over the counter product that is available to the general public that can effecticively and safely handle the situation. This is simply a wrong tool for the job type of deal.
I'll chime back in since you quoted me when you jumped into this thread.
Mine took days because they were up inside a wall cavity. I was not about to drill holes (or let a pro) and I wasn't pulling the exterior paneling off my house. Cheap hardware store grade boric acid dusted in their entry path refreshed each day for a few days killed them.

#56 ·
Cost is relative. You can probably get some guy to "rebuild" your transmission in his back yard for $50 or someone to tattoo you in your kitchen for ten bucks. Heck, I'm sure you could even find a surgeon that advertises on craigslist. Are any of those a good idea? No!

The reason you hire a pro is to get the job done right the first time. And you pay for quality like that.

"Bee Killer" in a can is just about as effective as "Engine Restorer" in a can.

#57 ·
I will let it take more time and risk a sting or two if I can do it for a tenth of the price. I killed about 20 bees today with spray before I drenched the entrance with dust. It wasn't nearly as hard as rebuilding the motor on my dirt bike. I haven't been stung yet either and I eliminated a yellow jacket hive in the process.

#58 ·
I'm allergic to these beasts.

I found a yellow-jacket highway travelling to my house.

I found their entrance and a nest in the ceiling, behind insulation in the basement.

It took me 3 days to win the war. First what I found was one nest about 6" round. I went in with a "Bee Killer" in a can in one hand and flashlight in another. I emptied the can, waited and watched them fall to the ground. There was still loud buzzing in the ceiling. It was night by then so I waited until the next day to purchase more "Bee Killer" in a can cans.

Next day I went in there with a broom stick, can of "bee killer" and a flashlight. I peeled the insulation slightly to reveal the next nest and emptied out the can on them. Again a ton of them fell to the ground. However, there was still loud buzzing of the angry yellow-jackets in the ceiling. Once again, I was out of cans.

Today, I filled my 2 gallon sprayer tank with Cyonara 9.7. Realized that a t-shirt and shorts would not cut it anymore, so I dressed like a skier. I also needed a shop light to point at the spot in the ceiling so I would have my hands free, one for the broom stick, the other for sprayer wand.

The battle raged on as I uncovered, one by one, nest #3, 4, 5 and 6.

Not sure how many of the german yellow jackets I killed, but this is what was left of them on the basement floor:

#64 ·
I had did the bottle trap and had put that out there the first night, but did not get any because one of my dogs knock it over. so I set it back up.
On my way home yesterday I stop at TSC and pick up some Sevin dust and when I went out there to put it down, They was pissed off over the bottle. So I had to get some spray to kill the one that was swarming so I could get the bottle, then put down the Sevin dust.

Here is the bottle.

#78 ·
OK, since this thread is already off the tracks... Why would someone come out and retrieve active nests (bald face hornets, wasp, whatever) for free? He travels from the Perry area to Fenton and doesn't charge a dime. He has to benefit from it somehow but I don't know how.

#94 ·
Gasoline down the hole is so rewarding! We have a few here at the camp that we've had to take care of. Just last night we lit one and let it burn. I don't really care if it's 'professional' or 'efficient' but it sure makes you feel better.

I've also been told that if you put a bull frog next to the hole they'll eat till they die. Doubt it's true, but it'd be awesome to try.

#101 ·
I'll simply say Keith is being humble here. I've been to his family business & his parents home. It's quite the place. Keith's parents house is opened up every Christmas to public tours. I've also talked with his dad & the business offers several other home owner services such as septic and landscaping. Basically you can rely on one company for all homeowner needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.