Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

MSD box or Alternative?

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Coyote Red 
#1 ·
I had a two year old MSD 6al cdi box go bad on me unexpectedly (no abuse). Should I get the same thing or get an alternative? Whats your experience been?

#5 ·
Gotcha on dont get them wet. I was no where near water when it quit on me. I had been working on the throttle linkage, took it to a local field, beat on it for about five or ten minutes, drove back home and shut it off to make another adjustment. No start. The jeep ran great, no symptoms of shorting out or anything. It is possible the box got wet a while back. Shorten the life maybe? I dont know. Considering a summit brand and mount it inside.

#17 ·
Its in my 46cj with v8. The box is on the fender about 5 inches from the front most header pipe. I ran it like this for over a year. You have a good point about the heat, I just built a cover for the hole I cut out of my fire wall. In fact it was my first drive with this change. No more heat escaping into the cab thus turning my engine bay into an oven. I may have cooked my box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.