Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

drunk teen sneaks into the wrong house

5K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  Coyote Red 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
16 years old, drunk, enters a house he has no business being in at 2am, startles the honeowners, sets off the alarm, and gets shot. What is the problem?

#7 ·
Just had something like this happen to me not long ago. Actually Dec. 21st.

Had an 18 year old kid show up beating my door down, highly intoxicated. I opened the door, he pushed his way in. I shoved him out, he came in again. Threw him out, turned around and grabbed the shotgun. He came in again, so I shoved the barrel in his face, and he still proceeded to push his way in, so I checked him with the stock of the gun knocking him to the ground where I held him at fun point till the cops showed. He's lucky I have a bit of restraint, as it was close to him eating buckshot.

Even after the cops were there, he tried walking back into my house.

#8 ·
I don't know the laws down there but it will be interesting to see if the boy proved to be a threat and not just someone who got lost. This story gives me mixed feelings. Good, that the homeowner was defending his family and used his right to do so. Bad, that a kid who, by the story, meant no harm and made a simple mistake and payed with his life.

#9 ·
meant no harm and made a simple mistake and payed with his life.
Are people no longer accountable for their actions? If someone is in your home at 2am, I am not going to stop and ask if they are lost and looking for directions. They are a threat.

#14 ·
Im guilty of picking the wrong house...lmfao. Buddy stole my shoes as a joke, was all shit faced and pissed he stole them. He lived next door and I picked the wrong next door. All I can remember was I ran up into someone house, a guy and a girl sitting in a livingroom watching tv, and my drunk ass runs in demanding where is "dave" and where the fuck are my shoes. He got me back outside, I definally was sorry and kept telling him that. Next day I felt so shitty I got them a gift certificate to a local restarant and went the next day to again say I was sorry. They were really cool about it afterwards, however storys like this make me think I was damn lucky not to get shot.

#20 ·
From the article: "A statement from the family reads, “Between the darkness and him being under the influence of alcohol, his mistake turned into the ultimate tragedy.”"

Sounds like it was "clean" as tragic as it may have been.......

#26 ·
This is a good thread. Many folks who cherish the 2nd ammenmant of our constitution are eager to defend their home with deadly force. It's nothing personal, just the principal that we can.

On the other hand a responsible gun owner can keep their wits and determine in a quick situation what truly is a deadly threat. Does burglary require a death sentence? What if it was your sisters kid looking for a place to crash when drunk, too embarassed to asked before hand? There are hundreds of scenarios that could be legitimately less than death situations. A double barrel in the face of a burglar trying to get in a window would certainly diffuse the burglary. What many don't consider is that the pulling of the trigger is easy and living with the results is tough stuff.

Would you honestly want to kill your neighbors son?

#27 ·
The problem is that you are Monday morning quarterbacking this.

It reads such that the resident of that home felt his life was in danger, so he acted. It's a simple as that. If you catch an intruder coming up the stairs of your house at 2am, you've got some quick thinking to do.

#29 ·
This is what I am thinking. If you could see him and knew him you might have been like oh that's the kid from down he street, otherwise he is some person who broke into your house and is advancing onto your sleeping family. Tell me what scenario other than the one here has someone intrude into your house and come towards where the family is sleeping? If I am in that situation I am not assuming that the person coming up the stairs is a nice fellow and might just need some help finding his way home. If I see them and recognize them I might think hmmm.. otherwise I am not announcing myself and allowing them to shoot me first so I can't protect myself and family.

#31 ·
Kerry, I agree with you. A person must have standards to live, or die by, without waiver. Maybe my communication is muttled. From my personal life experiences, I have to live by "my standards" which require of me a responsibility to be certain in such a situation. Evidently this person was not and ended a life when it was not necessary. I am not judging this person but am stating that we should not make a fatal decision just because we will not be held accountable by saying we felt threatened. Maybe this is muttled also. Anyway, it is a good thread that has spawned good dialogue.

#35 ·
sry i think he did the right thing. i trust just a few people thats with family an they would never enter my home with out calling out loud frist knowing that i will shot an ask latter. most people that rob you know you an some way.

an if it ever happens to me i will just have to live with it knowing i save my wife an kids :thumb:

#38 ·
Sure it could hit home and I hope it never does. But, bottom line for me is that it is a justified shooting. A drunk breaks into a home in the middle of the night, I have no mercy for him as I consider that a threat to the shooter's wife.

Recap
Kid gets in trouble at school
Kid gets grounded
Kid sneaks out of parents home
Kid is underage but gets totally shit faced
Kid is so shit faced he not only can't get into a locked house, he breaks into it
Kid is no longer a problem child.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.