Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Michigan CPL

11K views 98 replies 43 participants last post by  Easy_E 
#1 ·
After pouring my morning cup of coffee, I rummaged through the mail to find that my CPL arrived; after one month no-less. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked.

My understanding is there's roughly 400,000+ CPL holders in MI. With that being said, how many of you guys carry? What do you carry? When/How has carrying helped you in the past? or any other experiences related to owning your CPL.

#8 ·
I let my pet chimp shoot my glock all the time he fucking loves it. Vertebrate Mammal Common chimpanzee Primate Snout

#13 ·
I open cary a Walther PPQ and sometimes conceal carry it but I need to get a real carry belt and a quality holster for it, I'm on a waiting list for a M&P Shield 9mm.

I found a pair of subs on Craigslist, asked the guy to hold them untill Friday and I can then come check them out. I arrive on Friday (carrying concealed) and checked them out, 1 had a separated spider and the other had a tear In the surround. I told the guy they weren't for me and he got serious attitude. I went and shut off my car (playing his subs off my amp) and pulled my shirt up to switch over to open cary where he couldn't see me (didn't want him to claim I was "brandishing") I walked back to my trunk and told him again than they aren't for me. At this time he made eye contact with my weapon and quickly and silently packed up his shit and left.

#82 ·
So when your being questioned by the prosecutor and he will ask if your firearm was concealed and you say yes. He then questions what happen next and you say " Things got heated so I went to the other side of the car and uncovered my pistol . I then came back around with the pistol exposed "

That is Brandishing IF the gun was exposed the whole time it wouldn't be.
Now I'm not saying I was right was/wasn't brandishing, that being said what if I was wearing a jacket that concealed my weapon and I went and took it off and then my weapon was no longer concealed?

#85 ·
Now I'm not saying I was right was/wasn't brandishing, that being said what if I was wearing a jacket that concealed my weapon and I went and took it off and then my weapon was no longer concealed?
Take the Zimmerman case what if he testified that he aproched tyrone or what ever his name is things got heated so he took his coat off so his gun was exsposed ? How different would have that turned out ? If zimmer had still shot him I would bet things would have come out differently.
My guess is with zimmerman being on bottom and tyrone on top and now knowing who had a gun zimmer may have been looking down his own barrel. You carry concealed so noone knows you have till it comes out and you have to use it.

#20 ·
I carried a snubby 357 for a couple years, now usually the Taurus 709 slim, on my second renewal. What a difference in comfort. My brother now carries the snubby.
Don't leave home without it!
Way to go to the open carry guys, I still haven't gotten around to buying an OC holster... yet

#21 ·
It made it easier for me to purchase a couple handguns from people at my club's swapmeets. Even though getting a permit from White Lake rarely took more than 5 minutes I had to leave work early or take a day off to handle it. The little weasel Wixom chief seems like he would make it as difficult as he could. My company changed their policy and I am not allowed to carry on company property or have a firearm in my vehicle so I don't carry while commuting and avoid Parole Town as much as possible. In the winter I generally carry a Beretta PX4 Storm or a Kahr CW9. In the summer it is he Kahr or a little Ruger .380.

#23 ·
Usually it's my 4" XD .40 in a crossbreed supertuck. It's a bigger gun for cc than a lot of people like but this combo is comfortable. As long as you don't wear a shirt two sizes too small you would really have to be looking to see the outline of the grip.

I've never had to pull it. I may never need to, but I would rather it be on my belt than my safe if the situation presented itself.

#29 ·
I agree, was just putting it out there before you made him "uncomfortable" feeling by missing it.

Wehan, what exactly was so uncomfortable about the guys attitude? Actually let's make it easy, was he black?

#33 ·
So I should have turned my back to him, occupied both hands with the subs? All the while he is clenching his fists and screaming at me about how I cost him $300 because he was holding them for me? I do admit it could have gone down better but it could have went way way worse. Either way, it's done and over with, I'm alive/not in jail and I learned not to put myself in a situation like that that I couldn't easily remove myself from.

#39 ·
I don't think the story shared was that bad. Could've been handled better, could've been handled worse. He was there, we weren't. He didn't pull it and start acting like an idiot so I'll reserve my judgement.

I have my CPL but rarely carry. I'm rarely in a situation or an area where I feel the need. My XD usually lives in my car, but not usually on my person. When I'm carrying it's usually my Kimber UC2 in a Crossbreed Supertuck or similar.

#41 ·
So I typed out a bunch then decided to condense it.

It just seems like a lot of people the gun is the first choice instead of last. None of our grandfathers were afraid to take a punch or give one out. Man up god dammit.

#42 · (Edited)
I understand your frustration. When this happened my CPL was still shiny new and I think I was a little eager to put it to use. I will say that had I not been carrying it could have ended in a fistfight but because I had my weapon I didn't want to risk losing it and it being turned on me. I honestly wasn't prepared like I should have been and really shouldn't have been carrying. I know better now and am more mentally prepared because of this incident.... Believe me I played it over a million times I my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.