Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

need kerosene heater reviews

7K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  smasheromalley 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone burning a 200,000 btu kerosene torpedo in their garage/barn? What brand would you recommend. I've run searches online and it seems every brand from Lowes, Home Depot and TSC have about 50/50 mixed reviews. Each of these is around $400.

Lowes: Thermoheat 210000 BTU Kerosene Forced Air Heater
Home Depot: Dyna-Glo Pro 210,000 BTU Portable Forced-Air Kerosene Heater
TSC: Master® Kerosene/Diesel Forced Air Heater, 215,000 BTU
Grainger: DAYTON Oil Fired Heater, 125 K BtuH 120 V

Before you ask, my barn has no nat. gas and it will cost $1300 just to run a line to the barn so that is out of the question.

#2 ·
I'm running a 150,000 BTU one, my dad picked up from a garage sale about 20 years ago for $15.
Sometimes the fan gets a little noisy, or it doesn't burn fully, but a good kick usually fixes that.

I wish i could still read the brand because i'd buy another one of this fawkers

#3 ·
We picked up a multi-fuel Dayton from Grainger a couple years ago. I think it is around 150k BTU. Works great to warm the barn up quickly then we usually use the furnace to maintain the heat if we are gonna be out there for awhile.
Diesel is cheaper than kerosene right now, especially if you have access to red fuel.

#9 ·
155,000 btu Reddy Heater

It's inexpensive and heats up a 2 car garage all quick-like, but it's noisy and you need some ventilation.

I usually run it for a while with the door cracked open, then turn it off so I can shut the door and hear the radio.

#15 ·
i have a multifuel sears 110k that works fantastic in a 20x24 garage. my question is while there are little or no fumes on kerosene how is fuel oil and diesel out of these?

#17 ·
To update my post,

I was curious and dug deeper.
I have a 50,000 BTU ReddyHeater.
Still old as sin, but still works, been using it today without issue.

It heated up my 2 car garage, with only one insulated wall in under an hour to the point i didn't need a jacket, i use that to get it up to temp, and then i'm using a 30,000 - 80,000 BTU propane convection can to keep it at temp. only kicking on the reddyheater once in a while after i've been opening and closing the door to kick the temps back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.