Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project "Neon on the rocks"

3K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  nate4d 
#1 ·
The title is corny but that's where I started with it.It's a single seat,rear engine,4 wheel steer buggy with a 2.4L engine and manual 5sp. out of a dodge neon.A few specs: 100 w.b. 20" of belly clearance and sits 5'6" tall.I will be running 35"BFG KM2's on toyota steer axles.Hopefully weighs under 2500lbs. finished.16" fox air shox on the front,3link w/pan hard and 1/4 elleptical on the rear 3 link w/ a wishbone.I'm currently waiting on some material to show up so I can get the pan hard bar on the front to see if there is any binding issues before I finish gussets and welding

See less See more
#6 ·
How are you going about running the drivetrain off of the transaxle? I imagine if you could get a 4 or 5:1 R&P for it, it could be just like a full-time transfercase if you weld the spiders. (?)

Looks neat. :thumb:

#15 ·
Looks to me like he's got the front axle upside-down (driver's drop) and the motor is facing backward, so the shafts are spinning backward, and the rear....well, can't see enough to see what's going on there, but it looks like a high-pinion 3rd in a front housing turned around.

Edit: I see in the first pic a housing with teh 3rd installed and the gears exposed, so some flipping went on there, maybe the shafts aren't counter-rotating

VERY cool, I was rolling that idea around in my head a month or so ago, only with a welded transaxle diff and a sweet divorced Nissan t-case I've got laying around, powering a set of Zamboni axles (49" wide Dana 60 rear, 8-lug44 front)

#17 ·
Visibility is blocked where most rigs aren't but I can see below what you are looking at and see the whole front axle.I think I have the visibility where it matters.Starting out I will have a crawl ratio of 54:1 but can go to 76:1 if need be.The chassis is nowhere near done as far as tube work but you start to get the idea.C.G. should be really low but it's so ass backwards I guessed on the suspension to get a base line.I'm not even going to play it out like I know what I'm doing here.:sonicjay:I think I will be cloose to what I want but may be a mile off.:confused:

#21 ·
Front suspension is all done and no binding issues so I just need to tear it apart for final welding.I just finished the exhaust last night and will be starting the rear as soon as I get the rest of the parts.But this is what it looks like at ride height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.