Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Converting an MTB to a commuter bike.

6K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  mtnbikinbryno 
#1 ·
I have a Giant Yukon MTB that I never use for offroading and want to make it into a full fledged commuter bike w/ racks, panniers, and smooth tires.

It looks like this (not mine):

http://images.google.com/url?source=...LhioPYyhN9kSkQ

It's got a hardtail and a rockshox front fork.

I've been looking on bike nashbar for racks and panniers. Is there anything special I need to know before I just go and order the stuff, since it's a MTB and not a roadbike?

Also, I'd like some smooth urban tires, but I'd like to keep them kind of wide, like the mtb tires, any suggestions? I'm trying to do this on a tight budget, so if you keep that in mind, it would be helpful.

#3 ·
Also, I'd like some smooth urban tires, but I'd like to keep them kind of wide, like the mtb tires, any suggestions? I'm trying to do this on a tight budget, so if you keep that in mind, it would be helpful.
I had some trick wheels built for my MTB. My old wheels, which were pretty damn good got a set of Tom Slick. I swapped them back and forth for rides. One day on a city ride we went to poach a trail/short cut and a normal, easy, banked turn put me on my ass. :woot:

A couple more times taught to stay on the pavement with those. I finally said fuck it and bought a killer road bike.

#7 · (Edited)
AE Bike, based in Kalamazoo, has a nice online selection of the racks and bags. Lots of them say "will work with MTB, road, hybrid" etc., so I'd look for that.

http://aebike.com/parts-accessories...earchtype=search&keywords=pannier+rack&Brand=

For the tires I was going to suggest the Maxxis Hookworm That might be TOO fat though.

Here's a list of some MTB street tires. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/148-Tires.aspx?s=1501

I have some Maxxis Holy Rollers on my street (urban) bike and they roll pretty fast and come in 2.2" width, which might be just right for you. Heavy though.

#8 ·
Get a cheap rigid fork, cheap rack, and dig around at your local army surplus store for some milsurp bags to work as panniers.

Get an obnoxious bell, I used mine all the time when I was commuting by bike.

Also, reflective tape all over the frame makes you much more visible at night. Power Grips make decent commuter pedals if you dont want to bring a change of shoes to work.

I picked up some el-cheapo kenda 26x1.5" slick tires for something like $10 a tire at a bike shop a while back, they wore out quick, but they rolled really really well at about 80PSI.

Last Edit: Get bar ends if you dont already have them. A couple more hand positions make life much better.

#9 ·
Also, reflective tape all over the frame makes you much more visible at night. Power Grips make decent commuter pedals if you dont want to bring a change of shoes to work.
You NEED more than reflective tape if you're going to ride at night. An LED tail light at a minimum (I just hook mine to my backpack, but they make seatpost mounts too). A headlight is also very advisable... not for you, but for people turning into your path. I rigged up an old headlamp of mine to my handlebars... looks *******, but it's bright and people know I'm there. We've got a bunch of snow in TC now and I can't believe the DUI bike commuters who are riding on the street at night without lights. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

Last Edit: Get bar ends if you dont already have them. A couple more hand positions make life much better.
:bdr2::bdr2: ;)

IMHO, if you're going to be commuting any distance (longer than 5 miles) you should look at a 29er, cross, or road bike.

#10 ·
you can get tires that most people will call cheater slicks which are still decently wide tires that are slick in the middle but have some nobbies on the sides. Rolling down the road you have as little rolling resistance as possible but if you hit some loose stuff the nobbies will keep you upright. there not to expensive, i know kenda makes them but there are also some chinese brand ones too.

#14 ·
I think fixies are stupid unless you're on a track. I like to be able to brake when I'm riding on the streets with cars.

#19 ·
:confused: Are you serious? Get some MTB riser bars. BMX bars would look ridonculous.

:sonicjay:
hey, it's been done before, and maybe I could start a new hipster trend. :sonicjay:

#20 ·
Not gonna lie, I want a fixie. A nice Bianchi Pista frame would be sweet.

#27 ·
Sadly, I cannot afford to buy a bike right now since I'm piss poor, plus I got in a crash on the Trek 660 and tweaked the fork and have to fix that. But maybe someday I will get one.

#28 ·
Well, the Christmas list has been submitted. Hopefully I'll have some pics up of me riding in the snow and falling on my ass. ;)

Although, I'm thinking of saving the slicks for spring and DIY studding my current MTB tires and doing some snow riding.

#36 ·
Well, the nice thing is, I can pretty much use all the stuff I'd be putting on the MTB on a road bike too, except the tires. So, if I do come across a good deal on a road bike, i can just transfer the rack, panniers, etc. over to the new bike.

#40 ·
Well, here she is with some new goodies. Slick fat tires, fenders, rack and panniers, toe clips, new rear wheel (from when it fell off my bike rack on the expressway, a few years ago) I'm still waiting on a few goodies, like a front rack and frame bag from nashbar, and a bike light, but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together.

#42 ·
x2! Having alot of weight on a bike get's very squirrelly. Hope you don't have man hills near you.

I went this route when I started commuting on a bike, it lasted for 2 weeks then I ditched the slow bike for a more suitable road bike. Being able to haul ass, makes for a much more fun commute.

Now only if the snow would GTFO.

#44 ·
Guys, it's a Yukon, it should be able to haul like a Yukon. :)

I want to be able to use it haul stuff like groceries and whatnot around town. My commute to work is only like a half mile, but I'd also like to be able to do some light touring with it as well. I have a cabin about 17 miles away from where I live, and it would be kind of neat to bike there, with a set of clothes and some food and spend the night with my wife. Also, the front rack is a small one :

It says it's the size of a six pack. :)

#46 ·
Oh the big dummy :D the length of that bike makes for hauling loads alot easier.

We often bike to and from the grocery store, I have 2 folding racks on the back of my bike that fit paper grocery bags perfectly. With two loaded bags and maybe a gallon of milk strapped on the top of the rear rack, I have to be VERY careful riding home. It's a ton of weight and makes the bike very unstable. I can manage it for about 5-6 miles, but any further and I think I would cry.

You'll learn soon enough, then you can decide what suits your needs.

#47 ·
i did a bike trip in the carribean a few years back and we had packs front and rear. bikes weighed close to 100lbs loaded and were a BITCH to ride up hills but if you pack it low you can make them pretty stable. just order a set of brake pads right away if you are riding heavy alot or if you have alot of hills

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.