Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Propane VS Electric

3K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Jiveturkey3 
#1 ·
Which is cheaper for heating water and drying clothes?
How much cheaper?

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Just kidding. We use mainly wood to heat the house. 1790 sqft. Not the most economical home. Drafts and crappy windows but we fill our 500 gallon tank 2 times a year. So roughly $1000-$1200 a year for propane. Electric dryer helps our usage. We fill it in October or November then in March or April. Its very comparable to natural gas

#15 ·
I have a heat pump but it is a late 70's model and doesnt work very good. It seems to run constantly when callng for heat. I didnt like it running all the time so i run the natural gas instead. Im not sure if the newer ones work better in our climate. They are designed for southern states that get an occasional chilly night.

#16 ·
All electric house with wood heat. Two people average elertic bill over two years is $55. I feel like its a little high, my basement has no heat in it because we don't use our propane boiler. The hot water heater must run a little more that average as the basement gets down to 50 or a little below sometimes. I am hoping to work that bill down to an average of $35 with a few changes.

#17 ·
I heat with an outside boiler for house and water. This year I shut it down for the summer and used Propane to heat my hot water and cooking, electric dryer. From late last year until this month I used 200 gal of propane. That was cooking all year and hot water this summer.

I wish my electric bill was $55, I average $150 without running the A/C.

#32 ·
I rechecked there web site. All residential rates, year round and seasonal are 32.21.
I checked my consumers bill and I don't have an extra charge on my house which is residential or on the barns which is considered a farm with a different address than my house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.