Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

the '46 2A *82" of FUN*

118K views 533 replies 85 participants last post by  Woodyjiw 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I finally have my build plan, and the engine goes in tomorrow so its a good time to post....

that mixed with a

Small Spring Lift
Buick 225 V6
T-86 or t-14
D18
slight stretch (very slight 2")
saggy swap using a FSJ power steering box (f'in huge)

pizza cutters
winch
possible PTO (if I can find one)

3.73 super NT D44
3.73 Standard NT D30 with Disc Brakes

Upgrade the Master cylinder to a 2 chamber at some point.

The jeep will have a military arctic hardtop off a M38 as well.

CJ5 frame... Beefier and will hold up better over time since this rig will likely be lightly wheeled.

Eventually Fuel Inject the 225 for added economy.

See less See more
#353 ·
Pulled the oil pan tonight to change the gasket, then ran out of brakleen and kerosene for the heater... I will have to put it back on another day.

Amazingly enough, with the way I have abused this poor jeep last year at Snowfari there were NO metal shavings in the oil. There was a small pebble though... weird.

Amazing.. a bullet heater in a portable garage when it is 18-19* outside.

#355 ·
Funny you say that, I tried to put a bigger better air cleaner on it, and I can't without making a cowl induction hood :sonicjay: Anything I put under there is 1/2-3/4" taller then what I have and hits the hood.

Fixed the pan gasket, then found out that the biggest part of the oil leak was coming from the oil pressure sending unit that worked itself loose.

Went and played in the snow last night, in 4wd it drifts nice with the locked rear end, very controlled until you let off the throttle :rock: :sonicjay:

Both doors latch now, and started loading tools. I am thinking of changing the plug wires before Snowfari, I am trying to figure out where all the noise is coming from in my CB. All I know is Snowfari is going to be interesting not being able to see shit. This hardtop has more blindspots then ANYTHING I have ever driven. :sonicjay:

#367 ·
Rancho Springs

I put the Rancho 2 1/2" lift on my 3A. The individual part numbers in 2003 were:
RS44020 Front Springs (order 2)
RS714 Front U bolt kit (order 1)
RS44120 Rear Springs (Order 2)
RS711 Rear U bolt kit (order 1)
RS6636 Shackle Kit (Order 2)
RS5119 Front Shocks (Order 2)
RS5113 Rear Shocks (Order 2)

It sits nice and once I loosened the shackle bolts a little, the flex is pretty decent. I don't have incline numbers, but having finally gotten it together and I am happy with it on the trails. I may be able to find a picture with more flex, but this will have to do for now.

John

Attachments

#368 ·
....It sits nice and once I loosened the shackle bolts a little, the flex is pretty decent. I don't have incline numbers, but having finally gotten it together and I am happy with it on the trails. I may be able to find a picture with more flex, but this will have to do for now.

John
Yes, the Rancho's flex pretty good....

#371 · (Edited)
According to the spec on the winch it was 94' total, and it broke almost right in the middle.

Have a write up anywhere on repairing one? Whatever I do I want it to be safe. I plan to go rope eventually.

I am hoping the motor is ok... it didn't seem to be screaming at me, and I was doing short pulls. It wasn't real hot, but I saw smoke or something coming out of it when I was spooling it in.

#387 ·
Radiator started leaking in the parking lot, Adam said to drop it off and he would tinker if he got bored. The front clip comes off in about 10 minutes and my wife was grocery shopping so we dug in a bit.

It has been beat on pretty hard, it is time for a refresh. I think I am going to try to get an aluminum radiator and a mechanical fan in there. Re-do the steering, and swap the driveline.

One thing RenegadeII taught me is these are dead reliable because they are simple, I F'ed with that putting the electric fan on it and it bit me.

I was PMed a lead on a new top, so I may not be completely SOL there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.