Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anybody drive a newer 2500 hd?

3K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  95geo 
#1 ·
Does anybody on here drive a newer Chevy 2500 Hd? I was just wondering what people think of them. Do they have a really stiff ride? How is the power of the 6.0? I am thinking about buying a 2005 Silverado 2500 Hd, its 2wd, 6.oL with 135,000 on it. What are potential problems with that kind of milage. I was also wondering on a 2wd does it coils in the front or is it a torsion? Any input would help I am just tryin to justify a 10 hour drive to either buy it or turn around.

Thanks

#2 ·
I dont know if this will help much, my dad has a 2009 Gmc 2500hd with the 6.0 and loves it.

He switched from the diesel and loves this truck.
His is 4wd so a little heavier and the 6.0 can spin the tires, for a heavy truck the motor can push it very well. The ride isn't very stiff at all. For the size of the truck it rides smooth, you can compare it to most cars imo.
Also for towing, it pulls nice and can handle big loads with no problem.

#6 ·
I currently have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I can probably count the number of times I have used 4 wheel drive on one hand and the number of times I truely needed it would be zero. I am just sick of having a high ass truck payment. My lease is up in sept and they can have it back. I am buying something cash and saving $450 a month. I found a great deal on this truck, its about $6000-$8000 less than the same thing with 4x4. I have bought 3 brand new 4x4 trucks since 2001 and I don't really use the 4 wheel. It just gonna be a daily driver and I am still trying to convince myself that I don't need 4x4

#8 ·
4x4 is personal preference.. I like the convenience of it. i just got an 06 i Love it.. the motor is a LITTLE underpowered for what i expected and the gas mileage is SHIT ! but an awesome truck overall ! as far as ride.. i like trucks always have.. if i wanted a smooth ride id be driving a car.. with that being said this truck rides smooth as glass on the highway.. city streets are bumpy but don't bother me much.. my truck only had 36400 on it when i got it.. so its still pretty new.. but things to check for on these:

*check hitch for rust.. (these GM hitches are nitorious for ripping and failing)
*T-case check for a leak around the output housing.. the pump wears through and and ruin a whole t-case if you dont catch it early
*Exh manifold bolts.. (they rust and the heads pop off A LOT )
and as always with gm IFS check the front end for wear and all your other normal used vehical/truck inspection.

PS i beleive the 2500 and up 2wd trucks are torsion front

the 2500HD really is more than a 3/4 ton truck
2500HD:
- Much heavier frame
- More engine options (Big block, diesel)
- More trans options (Especially ZF 6spd manual or Allison 5spd auto)
- Full Floating rear axle to handle heavy loads in the box or heavy tows
- Payload 3,554 lbs
- Tow 12,000 lbs hitch, 15,400 on 5th
- Harsher ride empty

2500:
- Frame inbetween 1500 and 2500HD
- Can only get the Vortec 6.0 V8 and 4spd 4L80E auto
- Semi Floating rear axle, limits to box load and tow load
- Payload 3,076 lbs
- Tow 10,200 lbs hitch or 5th
- Harsher ride empty than 1500, better empty ride than 2500HD or 3500.

#9 ·
i have had one 2500hd trucks of my own and two 2500hd work trucks for me they are the best trucks out there. my work truck know is a 05 duramax all my others were 6.0 gaser they all haul really well but the gas motor hauling my 35 foot camper up north cost 150.00 dollars now with the duramax its 80.00 dollars its all on what u do with the truck. i only buy 4x4 cause i use it every day but when my transfer case broke and i only had 2 wheel drive i got stuck in my drive way with only 4 inches of snow i know the diesel and 4x4 add alot of weght up front but if you need 4x4 and dont have it get ready to call a friend or tow truck. hope this helps. but you cant go wrong with a chevy

#11 ·
i have a 06 2500HD mine came with all the options i wanted. 6.0 5 speed manual(NV4500) manual transfer case 4.10 rear with G80. the only complaint i have is the electronic throttle control. when first started throttle response is sluggish, and even worsened by having a stickshift.
the engines power is fine unless you haul more then 7000 lbs regularly. i've hauled 9500 lbs so far with it and while getting off the line is fine thanks to the transmissions creeper gear, going faster then 50 takes alittle time to get there. the fuel mileage is average for a 3/4 ton i get 14 highway 12 city 10 towing.
it does ride a bit harsh when empty but when hauling a load in the bed or pulling a loaded trailer it kinda floats over bumpy roads. mine came with the heavy duty trailering package which makes for a stiff ride when empty.

#14 ·
2wd vs 4wd is going to be a pretty personal decision based on where you live and what you deal with.

My present truck is about as good as you can get in 2wd, good limited slip + traction control + stability, it has never *needed* to be put into 2wd for my daily driving stuff.

But today I needed to move my trailer, which was buried in a snow bank. My tires were on ice, and couldn't budge the trailer until I put it in 4wd.

My old dodge I drove for 2 years (as an intermittent tow vehicle) without ever pulling the t-case lever. Finally did and found it didn't work. Was loaded up with a 7000 lb trailer, ended up burying it to the frame.

If I wasn't trailiering, especially where we go, I am impressed enough with my present truck that I would consider a 2wd. But I have used 2wd many times trailering in the snow, ice, washed out roads in canada, soft muddy campgrounds, etc. Seen way too many people get stuck in 2wd.

#15 ·
I have a 2005 2500HD CrewCab 4x4. This has the 6.0L in it and automatic transmission. It's been a good truck. I tow 12,500lbs. during the summer. I haul trailers with it every few weeks and it pulls just about anything with ease. The new set of tires I put on it have been incredible. I can drive most snow and ice in 2 wheeldrive with no problem. I locked in the 4 Wheel one time this winter. It does drink fuel like it's going out of style. I get 10mpg most of the time and 7-8 hauling my fifth wheel. The only issue I really have is with the CD player and radio. It sucks and doesn't work very well. I bought the truck with 45,000 miles on it and I now have around 77,000 on it. My hitch is just starting to rust. I will be pulling it off this spring to sandblast and powdercoat. Other than it not being a diesel it's been a great truck!! If your interested in purchasing the truck I would sell it as I would like to get into a 2011 Ford Superduty when they come out.

#16 ·
I have a 02 3500 drw 6.0L 2wd with a 12ft flat bed at work. not sure what gears it has but it turns 2300rpm going 70, and its still a turd off the line. i think we put a trans in at 130k. the ride is not bad at all, i would say it does not ride much different than my half ton dodge with that flat bed and our welding rig/generator on the back.

#26 ·
I own a 2004 2500 HD 4x4 and i love my truck, i have owned it sence it was new, there are a couple of things to look for:

1 Smell of antifreeze , these trucks are known for intake manifold leaks internal weak gaskets around 70,000 miles

2 Disc brakes rear, poor stopping when hauling trailers with out breaks, the truck has just enough brakes to barely handle its self ( been changed on new models) look for drum rear brakes, better system.

I have driven the newer 2500 HD and I would not trade my 2004 for a 2010,
the 2010 is cheaply built! lighter weight truck on a HD suspenion, rides rough, and bounces all over the place when hitting a pothole, seats are uncomfortable for long trips.

NOW THE BRAKES ARE BETTER ON THE 2010, WENT BACK TO DRUM BRAKES REAR MUCH BETTER STOPPING.

If you live in Michigan, don't even think of buying a two wheel drive, you will majorly disappointed with 2wd any brand and the resale value of a 2 wheel drive just dont hold their value, there are a few 2wd guys in Michigan, but ask them what their truck is worth, not much!

#36 ·
It's real simple, look around as you are driving count the 4wheel drives VS the two wheel drives, you will see what most people are using!
Shit even in Florida, it dame close 4x4 VS 2wd!
The first time you get stuck and the front wheels are high and dry, and the ass end is setting and spinning, just keep that in mind!
Spend the extra 1500 to 2000 for the extra drivetrain! you will get it back in the end!
You wont be disappointed!
GOOD LUCK! :rock:
GREAT CONVERSATION! :woot:

#37 ·
Ok new question. Does anybody have a high milage duramax? Once you get up over 200,000 do they just become money pits? I wish our work trucks were DMax so I would have this answer. The work trucks we have are 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstrokes. The 7.3s seemed alright they would occasonally nickle and dime you but the repairs were some what reasonable. The 6.0 IMO is a piece of shit. We have one with 120,000 on it and every 2 months it cost $2000 or more in repairs. Even the guy at Superior Diesel said that a repair that would cost $800 on the 7.3 would cost aboout $2400 on the 6.0. But back to the real question, Should I steer clear of a DURAMAX over 230,000 miles? Is it just a potential money pit? I have heard that the injectors go all the time and just make sure to change the fuel filter every 15. So let me know what you think of the Duramax good or bad. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.