Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

97 Ram 1500 Questions

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  busyfixin 
#1 ·
I got a 97 Ram 1500 5.2 4x4. When I got it some dumbshit decided it would be a great idea to put "true duals" on it. Its got 2 cats, and 2 flowmasters. I keep getting a check engine light, and when read its "Left bank too Lean". Well I decided since it had 120,000, replacing the O2 sensors wouldnt be a bad thing. Well I can only find one, on the left side pipe after the cat. When I went to autozone, I got the O2 sensor for after the cat. Well it did not fit, the plug was diffrent. So when I took it back with the one that was in there, we figured out it was the O2 sensor for "before" the cat. But the problem is its located "after" the cat. I cant find any other wires or anything for a missing O2 sensor. Can anyone shed any light on this? According to some people ive talked to, I am suppose to have one before and after the cat. I want to fix this cluster mess and get the truck to run right, and hopefully get a few extra MPG:naughty:

And also I was wondering if anyone has ever took a Newer Sport bumper, like the full painted one that the fogs are on the outside, like on the 99's and put it on a older one like mine. Also where could I find one, would it be cheaper to buy one from a body shop or something? Would I need brackets? I just like the look of the newer fully painted bumper verus the older metal one.

Thanks for your help!:beerbang:

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe the precat O2 is inside the front of the cat on that truck so they would have needed to relocate it in front of the new cat to get the right kind of reading out of it.

#3 ·
Thats some of the problem. When changing them to a new one, I figured out that the Pre cat O2 is behind the cat now, and I cant find the wires or anything for the Post Cat O2. Plus they are in seperate pipes now because the dumb ass wanted "true" duals. I'm just really guessing, I was just wondering if someone could shed light on it, and if possable someone had a schmatic or something to go on.

#5 ·
And also I was wondering if anyone has ever took a Newer Sport bumper, like the full painted one that the fogs are on the outside, like on the 99's and put it on a older one like mine. Also where could I find one, would it be cheaper to buy one from a body shop or something? Would I need brackets? I just like the look of the newer fully painted bumper verus the older metal one.
You have to change the grille with it, or it won't look/fit right. I believe you'll have to cut it for the tow hooks also.

#7 ·
You're not. Everyone else bought 99-up Sports. :tonka:

Pavementsucks.com might have sonething about it, but the fastest way to find out what is required is to look under your bumper/look under a 99-up bumper and do the same for the grilles.

#13 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking. The truck is a 97 Sport. I fogot to mention that, my whole grill and bumper are painted like the truck. So do I still need to change the grill or will mine work? Sorry forgot to mention that. The problem is the bumper is still metal under the paint, and It keeps getting rusty, and I just want to convert over to the newer style for the looks and the fact that I wont have the rusting problem anymore.

#11 · (Edited)
I did this on my 2wd 95 years ago. If I remember correctly I had to drill a hole in the bumper brackets to match the frame. DO NOT switch to the clear headlights, if you have the old style. I have had tons of problems with this little mod.

As far as the O2 sensor mine was in the Y pipe before the cat. When I swtched to true duals and headers I welded in a bung and ran the O2 sensor off of one bank.

#17 · (Edited)
Yeah thats what I was thinking. See orginally from the factory the manifolds went into a Y pipe after the manifolds, and Im thinking thats where the pre cat O2 went, so it would get readings from both sides. But now its just isolated in the left tube, with No crossover pipes and its even in the wrong location I'm figuring, since the old O2 and the plug match up to be the pre-cat O2, but its behind the cat, which may be making it go lean? I duno. I'm just trying to find out if there is suppose to be 2 or 1 O2 sensor, and where the placement are, and if I can run true duals, or do I have to put another Y pipe in there. Right now there is 2 cats, 2 flowmasters, and 2 seperate tubes that never cross over eachother. The one and only O2 is behind the left side cat. I already checked up by the manifolds and everything, and I didnt see any.:confused:

#18 ·
the old style sport with the painted steel bumper has the same grille as the rest. you will need the new style grille as well.

on another note, what problems did you have with the clear headlights, i have been planning on doing this for a while on one of my trucks. the old style lights suck balls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.