Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

miller 180 gas problem

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  muddinman56 
#1 ·
I have a millermatic 180 mig welder that i bought new 6 years ago. It has been a great machine until now, the sheilding gas is always flowing when the welder is on. as soon as i turn on the welder you hear the click of the gas solenoid that you usually hear when you pull the trigger. If anybody knows anything about them please help me figure it out.

#4 ·
well i went out to the garage and unplugged the wire from the gun to the machine and the gas flow still come on when i turn on the welder. I decided to remove the cover to see whats inside. theres 2 wires running to the gas valve i unplugged the white wire "not knowing what im doing" and then turned the machine on and the gas has stopped so i guess that means the valve is not physically stuck. so now could it be the valve solenoid or is it the board?

#5 ·
Solenoid is good, otherwise it would never stop. There has to be a relay that fires the gas valve that is stuck closed, so when you flip the power switch on it charges the solenoid. May be a cube relay, or it could be built into the board. Tap gently on all the little black boxes on the circuit board and one of then may release and stop the gas.

DEAK Racing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.