Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

accident

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  CRAZYRED 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all not my fault he got the ticket
i was driving down inkster by wick in romulus and someone coming from a side street in a new 2008 dodge ram (big horn edition) blew threw a stop sign and obviousley i did not have enough time to stop.
i spun his truck about 1/4 turn, he ended up hitting his head on the windshield and knocking himslef out luckluy with his wheel turned to the right otherwise he would have then been hit by a semi truck that you see in the second pict.
3 whitness saw and explained to the police and he got the ticket and i get a $500 insurance deductable to get my truck fixed
my bumper pushed into the grill and that screwd up the fenders too. you can kinda see to the back of both fenders are bent

just for refernce where it happend

and thanks too google heres the intersection

this sucks

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow man, I know how you feel. But all in all, I'd say your TJ fared pretty well compared to the ram. Good luck with all the insurance junk. If your insurance deductable is $500, I'd maybe look into finding a used silver hood, fenders, and bumper. You may end up under $500 if you look hard enough. Is there any other damage or were you able to drive it home?

#11 ·
If the police officer gave the other driver a ticket, in Michigan, your insurance can get his inssurance company to pay the $500 deductible to get your Jeep fixed. Insist that your insurance company do this -- they're required by Michigan no-fault law to do it, but some of them don't rush to do it, since they will get their $500 anyway if you pay without realizing it.

#19 · (Edited)
oh wow it only looks like the corner of your bumper touched anything then your fender did the rest
the vehicle did its job though you still here and hopefully didnt get hurt

Glad everyone is ok.
Don't rule out frame damage on your TJ. It could be worse than it looks.
P.S. I pulled you out at the mounds, in the red YJ in the woods, but we never got to chat.
Therein lies potentially $$$$$. Hitting a vehicle on the corner is a sure way to trapezoid the frame. The steering being off is a tell tale sign.
At the speed it sounds like you were going the bumper may have faired well but that energy went somewhere! Make sure you get it looked at by a reputable body shop.
jim-kb8ymf
uh yeah, your steering wheel being off confirms it, your frame is BENT!
it's going to cost more than your deductible to get it fixed, dont think about doing it yourself like others suggested.
didnt really think about that i will forshure have that checked out really good everything looks straight but it what the eye cant see is what could be wrong

#21 ·
oh wow it only looks like the corner of your bumper touched anything then your fender did the rest
the vehicle did its job though you still here and hopefully didnt get hurt
The guy turned left right in front of me....the whole bumper took the hit but then because of the angles my Jeep back end slid to the left and then the ass end came off the ground causing all the damage you see...I never had time to hit the brakes so it was a true 45mph hit...I was sore for a few days but otherwise fine...and yes my frame was bent...total damages to fix my Jeep $8500...cost to me $0.00...I planning on doing a write up soon about the whole thing that includes pics but for now here is a pic after the body damage was fixed...but the thing just happens to be torn apart in my garagemahall for some more goodies to be installed...

Attachments

#22 ·
The guy turned left right in front of me....the whole bumper took the hit but then because of the angles my Jeep back end slid to the left and then the ass end came off the ground causing all the damage you see...I never had time to hit the brakes so it was a true 45mph hit...I was sore for a few days but otherwise fine...and yes my frame was bent...total damages to fix my Jeep $8500...cost to me $0.00...I planning on doing a write up soon about the whole thing that includes pics but for now here is a pic after the body damage was fixed...but the thing just happens to be torn apart in my garagemahall for some more goodies to be installed...

soo your insurance paid for the tube fenders and aftermarket bumper? nice
i pretty much hit him straight on and bacisally spun his truck 1/4 turn where he was pointing the same direction as me

where did you take it to get it fixed dealer?

#20 ·
I wouldnt think ur frame is bent I just crashed my TJ into a cement barrier at about 35 miles and my frame is fine. Steering wheel could be off a bit, but thats fixable. It seems like u hit him dead on. So i think your frame rails are prolly fine. At least the ram had some give, My cement barrier didnt...

#23 ·
get your frame checked.

kthanks.

secondary damage like that can total a vehicle out. doubtful in your case, but just get it checked. its not hard, and doesn't take long. frame repair time in NOT something you want to pay out of pocket.

#26 ·
now that i looked at it again i notice that something is deffintley tweaked look at the gap between the sides of the hood and grill

also does anyone think that a shop will try to repair the fenders
i hope not
new is $805 each and I may try to go tubed Which is cheaper anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.