Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Scanners..school me

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  toolmantim 
#1 ·
I don't want a code reader....and I don't want to call a Snap-on guy....

I do want a fairly decent scanner that will actually work bi-directionally. I was told this was needed to set the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) on a 98-04 TJ within the 5 degrees needed.

The only one that I have found that looks like the right type is this one

I'm not going to make money off this...but I do enough work on my own vehicles and others to justify needing one. I just don't want one that only does 1/2 of what I need but don't want to buy an entire PC that just works on cars either.

any suggestions??

#2 ·
I do want a fairly decent scanner that will actually work bi-directionally. I was told this was needed to set the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) on a 98-04 TJ within the 5 degrees needed.
Wait what ?? :confused: Since when does the oil pump drive have ANYTHING electronic on it ??

#4 ·
You ever hear of a distrubuter?? It's makes spark plugs work, spins off the camshaft and makes the gears in the oil pump spin. Since engines of ancient design (like Jeep's 4.0) started using coil rails they still needed to spin that oil pump..now that dist. has a sensor on it to tell the injectors when to fire.

This item is now referred to as a OIL PUMP DRIVE ASSEMBLY.

thanks.:thumb:

#3 ·
I don't know what the bi-directionally is, Or what the opda has to do with a scan tool.
But the one you linked seems to look ok. There is a ton of company's that make these now.

You can prolly find a more known brand for about the same price. Hell you can put the software on your phone and just use that. I started doing that 5 years ago. Have gotten a different phone since but it worked good for me at the time.

#8 ·
it is needed for 01 to 06 models. all d.i.s. models are different than old distributor type ignitions. the opdg is an electronic sensor, that reads cam timing, and fires the injectors properly. it will go into limp home mode if off more than 7 to 10 degrees. it has to be set within a few degrees to function properly. a timing light aint gonna cut it anymore. the new opdg units have been known to chew up the cam gear. opdg shaft bushings are no longer fed oil from the engine. some people think this is the possible cause for opdg failures. others think it is the weight of the mercedes upper timing wheel in the top of the opdg. they do fail and can take out the cam in the process. you do need a scanner to set them properly. some people have luck marking them and dropping them back in. others mess it up. they are not set to 0 degrees with out a chrysler scan tool.

#10 · (Edited)
This. :beer:

and to be more specific the 98-2004 models 4.0 engines are what need the bi-directional scanner..the 2005 and up 4.0's (which have the OPDA with high failure rate) only need to be within 15 degrees and the computer will compensate. It has a larger tone ring for the sensor where the earlier models just use more like a 50/50 (on or off) very small ring to activate sensor.

But I'm honestly not having problems with my Jeep because I did line it back up close enough to NOT throw a code...it runs fine but I would rather get it right on the money.

I am shopping for a scanner not to fix 1 particular problem per say....but to be able to fix something that might come up down the road....not to mention I am very involved in the maintenance/upkeep of about 4-5 other vehicles besides my own 3 so I figure it's a tool that will help me.

I don't typically have the time or trust to let others work on my vehicles and charge me 80 bucks every time they hook it up to their computer...and since 98% of what I do work on are Jeeps all I need is a key to get simple fault codes and autozone for everything else.

I'm hoping that someone sells something that gives me very detailed information and can be used to make adjustments or reset certain parameters if possible.

I've been working on engines/vehicles since the 80's...so I'm fortunate enough to actually know how to set points, and carbs, solid lifters, blah blah blah....but I also know that modern engines are controlled by sensors and computers since the late 80's early 90's and they won't plug into my Dell.

I was also hoping not to have to spend 800 bucks to get what I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.