Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

traction bars

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  sonic 
#1 ·
Anyone ever make a set of traction bars or find a kit? I tried and they lasted about half their first day up at the mounds. What I really need is a set of plans and a good chep place to buy some good hiem joints. Any of you running a long arm kit in the front? Always wondered what a diffrence that made. Little weirded out about notching the body mount.

#3 ·
#10 ·
I have a set on my 97 ram 2500. By far one of the best investments. I bought them from Diesel Darryl. Phone#(810)853-1060. I priced out the materials and joints myself and it would have been more expensive to make them myself. Furthermore, Darryl is located in Linden MI which is right next door to you.
Hope that helps.

Scott

#11 ·
sonic said:
The Cepek long arm kit requires that you notch out the body mount below the front doors to allow for the upper arm to travel heres kind of a bad pic to show how they mount. You have to cut the old upper controle arm mount off ass well.
I don't think you had to do that with mine (Skyjacker) - would have to take a closer look. I think the only cutting that had to be done was around the arm mounting point on the axle to make room for the big joint and so you could tighten the nut.

You could drive over here and look at it sometime this weekend if you want.

#13 ·
PavementPounder said:
I don't think you had to do that with mine (Skyjacker) - would have to take a closer look. I think the only cutting that had to be done was around the arm mounting point on the axle to make room for the big joint and so you could tighten the nut.

You could drive over here and look at it sometime this weekend if you want.

I may take you up on that offer some time. You are almost next door. Thanks everyone else for the help. I forgot I posted this thread honestly. So busy...

Mark

#14 ·
I got the remaining fluids changed ont he truck and drove by your work a couple times today. You're at that Jeep Dealer on M-59, right? Are you a Tech? I have a noise from the rear of the Ram and I want to figure out if its the driveshaft carrier bearing, so I need to put it up on a lift, put it in drive, and listen. Think you can hook me up with a little inspection?

#15 ·
I might be able to do that on a saterday afternoon. The owner has been getting kinda testy about us pulling in cars that aren't customers. You should check the u-joints while its on the ground since its lifted. I found that out the hard way with mine and my drive shaft issue. Well see what we can work out though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.