Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My Yj; 6.0 V8, 700R4, D44, D60, H1's, 37's and OBA

117K views 451 replies 65 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Picture, Look through thread for buildup:

6.0 updates start here

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=665&page=13

Stats and info: (cut and pasted from another site i have the info posted on)

Vehicle year: 1994 (base vehicle),1991,1998,1985, 1984, 1975, 2001 :D

Year purchased: 1999

Engine and engine mods: 2001 Chevy lq4 6.0 77k miles [strike]355 Chevrolet, Mild cam Edelbrock intake and carb, De-emissioned, dual Exaust, [/strike]

Drivetrain and drivetrain mods: Built 700r4 with manual overrides, Np231C

Axles, gearing, and mods: HP D44 front USA Alloy shafts, Spicer joints Spartan Locker/D60 rear Ford limited Slip, 4.88 gears

Tires & wheels: H1 Double Bead Locks, 37x12.5 Cut BFG Baja (for now), [strike]37x12.5 Goodyear Surplus tires[/strike]

Lift and other suspension mods: BDS 2" SOA suspension and Shocks, removed Swaybar and Trackbars, modified teraflex traction bar

Exterior mods: Custom Rear bumper built by Nick_sg and I, Front bumper built by me with winch mount and TX2 12,000lb 2 speed winch, Foglamps, rock rails with side step, functional ram air scoops for venting excess heat.

Recovery and safety equipment: Koz Sport Cage, 12,000lb TX2 winch, 8klb Warn rear winch, Hi-lift jack, Strap, Tree saver, and a fire extinguisher, assortment of tools and a rag

Skid plating: Stock Skid's for now

Other mods: YORK OBA, (currently disabled)

Best modification: V8 and the 4 wheel discs and tranny by Killer "b"

Worst modification: Rear Tube bumper, bent too easy, the hitch flexes under load, feels like it would come off-- oh wait it did

Primary trails or events: Mounds, Big Rapids, and Silver lake, have done some Whitehall and would like to hit Grayling and Mio (nothing around my house other then my field), did west branch and St. Helen as well

Club/Organization affiliations: GLFWDA, web-boards and friends

Very near future mods: Tons

and here is my just completed install of the New improved 355. .030 over, mild cam

and yes I know I need to replace my gooseneck gasket... i see it belched anti freeze on the intake it wasnt leaking 3 days ago... but i never changed that seal when the engine was apart as i didnt take off the gooseneck

See less See more
#190 · (Edited)
Yep, back to work. Much easier with a shop you can move in and find tools when you need them

New bushings in the frame and shackles

New steering shaft installed

Lock outs finally installed. Took forever because the stub shaft had to be removed because it was hitting a ball joint grease zerk making it off center. Glad to find out about it now.

To do:
Re-plumb transmission
Weld in floor board
Weld in patch under the jeep embossment
Rebuild rear driveshaft
Bolt up torque converter
Clean up what ever other messes we find (likely mostly electrical)

#201 ·
I drove it, I droooove it!

The trans is working, but you can tell the seals were a little dry and it got tight. The more I ran it the better it was shifting.

Something is wonky in the transfer case. Probably need to take it out.

It is missing and backfiring once in awhile. Probably the plugs from running so rich, carb still may be a little dirty.

It has massive death wobble as we forgot to check the toe, I don't think it is supposed to have 1" of toe.

Need to figure out how to get 5V to the speedo sensor.

Need to get the windshield wipers working/installed.

overall it rode and drove GOOD despite the drag link being cobbled right now. Rode nice and steered nice.

#203 ·
T-case fixed, but seems noisy, but the boots and carpet are not in place.

It has HORRIBLE deathwobble. The Toe did not fix it. Found a tie rod end I thought I replaced that I apparently did not. Also one of the brand new ball joints has developed some play. Hopefully resetting the pre-load will fix it.

Engine seems to be running good after I re-timed it.

#216 ·
Well, the Speedo is working, fan fixed, and I can get it in the trailer by running 0psi and removing the hard top. This is ok, except for I cannot steer with the tires flattened. The pump and j20 box just cannot do it.

Adam also quickly fabbed up a toolbox rack so I have more interior room with the family going this year.

#217 · (Edited)
Shimmed the axle pinion down 2.5* and I have not had any binding, also ground off the balancing weight of the shaft no more vibrations.

Ordered a new shaft, should be here Monday.

Starting to collect parts:

Future plans currently:

5.3 or 6.0 swap, leaning toward a 6.0
Hydro assist
install the rear traction bar
install a front traction bar
remove runflats and install PVC inserts.
Get a balanced front driveshaft
new seats
Pull cage and paint
Herculine or similar tub inside
Keep eye out for different tires
Front locker
rebuild rear LS unit
Get rid of ghetto steering wheel
clean and repaint frame

Snofari pics

#221 ·
I thought you may want to see my shaft.... :teehee:

Spartan Locker ordered for the front.

The pinion seal on the D60 is gone, so I am going to replace that and the pinion bearing as it seems worn. The rear axle came from a mud truck.

I REALLY need to get the traction bar on before I install the new shaft - or at least before I go wheeling. I definitely have some nasty spring wrap.