Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Wheeling with kids

2K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Just a Spouse 
#1 ·
So in the latest custody agreement the bastard of a father states that I have been off roding and mud bogging whith his child in the jeep and he is "concerned" about his safety.

Advice on how to counter if necessary? he has a clean driving history as do I.

#4 ·
Also point out you're trying to teach them about TreadLightly and and all the other natureish things. Make it sound like you are using 'edutainment.' having fun while learning. :thumb:

#8 ·
If wheeling smart, expecially with kids in the vehicle, you would think the chances of being involved in an accident in the middle of the woods is much less than the possibility of an accident on the road with other stupid ass drivers.

Also, have the person handling the "case" or whatever it is called speak with the kid. Have him/her ask what the kid enjoys doing more, riding around town in a suzuki with dad, or offroading with mom.

#14 ·
I'm so glad I never had to go through that with my ex.

For me the biggest thing was convincing my kids that they really didn't have to tell their mom about everything that happened.

#15 ·
convey that you are spending quality time with your kids that dosent involve a tv, ps9 (or whatever number they are up to now), drugs or any other negative influences. you are teaching them that there is more to life than fetchin' dad a beer while he sits on his ass watchin the game. wheelin is more than mud and tires, its about family and friends having good clean fun in michigans most valuable asset: NATURE

#21 ·
Good point, I wish more kids these days would spend more time out doors then in front of a TV playing video game.

Let's never forget of the family orientation that every 4x4 club is proud to represent. Wheeling is all about the family enjoying the nature and quality time together.
Most people over look this fact.

Hope it all works out for you and your kids.

#18 ·
I have a friend who went through something similar.

Needless to say he won his case.

His ex threw it in his face that he takes his sons with him on deer hunts, walking his trap line, and other outdoor activities he enjoys.

Needless to say his ex's plan backfired when the kids were questioned about these trips there dad takes them on.

By the way he now has full custody of his sons.

So I have to aggree get your kids on the stand and let the judge hear their story.

#19 ·
Get some video of you guys going down mild two tracks, camping, skipping stones, fishing, and hiking for the arbitrater(sp) or judge to watch. It will look like you are spending quality time with the kids, and the dad has a hard on to ruin your fun. Make a cd because most courts won't let you bring in a camera. Obviously choose your video wisely.

And good luck with your case.

#23 · (Edited)
My ex tried really hard to use the same thing against me in court. I had to sit on the stand and defend every purchase ever made for the Jeep. In the end, it didn't have any effect on anything else but it did catch me off guard to have his attorney, out of the blue start asking me how much money I've spent on the Jeep. I explained that we all love to camp and spend time out in the woods. We geocache and trail ride and I feel strongly that getting the kids out in the woods for fresh air and exercise is very important. We believe strongly in the tread lightly philosophy and we make sure to haul out any trash we come across on the trail.
Part of my "expenses" on the Jeep have been free. We trade work, do favors etc and my ex's attorney tried to make it look like that couldn't possibly be the case. I explained to the judge that in general, jeep people are a tight knit group, we help each other out, we park next to other in parking lots and at that point I was starting to stammer since I was SO pissed that they were trying to use my choice of vehicles and hobbies to show that I was a bad parent and I threw my hands up in the air and told the Judge that I hated to sound cliched but it's a Jeep thing! The Judge actually laughed and said he got it. HAH!

If you want to talk to me more about this, I'd prefer to keep it off the boards and you may want to consider doing the same. PM me and I'll get you my phone number and I'll give you any advice that I can. It was a long, expensive trip but I said all along, when it's all said and done, if I have my kids and no money that is all that matters. I'm broke and I have my kids...it's all that matters.

#33 ·
My ex tried really hard to use the same thing against me in court. I had to sit on the stand and defend every purchase ever made for the Jeep. In the end, it didn't have any effect on anything else but it did catch me off guard to have his attorney, out of the blue start asking me how much money I've spent on the Jeep. I explained that we all love to camp and spend time out in the woods. We geocache and trail ride and I feel strongly that getting the kids out in the woods for fresh air and exercise is very important. We believe strongly in the tread lightly philosophy and we make sure to haul out any trash we come across on the trail.
Part of my "expenses" on the Jeep have been free. We trade work, do favors etc and my ex's attorney tried to make it look like that couldn't possibly be the case. I explained to the judge that in general, jeep people are a tight knit group, we help each other out, we park next to other in parking lots and at that point I was starting to stammer since I was SO pissed that they were trying to use my choice of vehicles and hobbies to show that I was a bad parent and I threw my hands up in the air and told the Judge that I hated to sound cliched but it's a Jeep thing! The Judge actually laughed and said he got it. HAH!
wow :eek:

#25 ·
Man, that guy sounds like...er...something. My friends son goes with him on trips and is absouloutly in love with his Dad's Truck. If you think about it, Most people that wheel think about alot more factors to thier vehicle performance (especially on the trial) then the other people on the road. Our Vehicles have to be in safe working condition to go out on the trails and get it back safely. I can't believe this guy would go there. Also, LIke mentioned, Makes sure he wears a Helmet and his Seat belt. Perferabley a DOT approved helmet, not just a Bicycle helmet. Good luck man, I'm praying for ya.

#27 ·
So just thinking out loud here....His other sons are/were in wrestling and football so one might say that if he was genuinely as concerned as he is trying to come across as, his other sons would never be aloud in such violent injury prone activities.

#28 ·
I dissaggree with the idea of helmets on the kids. Why well unless the helmet is light enough, this could cause injury to the kids neck. Our vehicles with restraint systems are designed to protect us if rolled over. The bumps on the trails may cause the head to shake. With the extra wieght of the helmet this may cause injuries to the neck.

It sounds like a good idea but then again it doesn't even a youth helmet adds extra wieght to there heads.

#31 ·
my x has tried to use anything i do with my sons against me rideing in the jeep or the snd rail or going snowmobiling...so i know exactly what you are talking about.........but in the end you ARE!! spending time with your kids ....just curious what does he do with them??? and as far as i am concerned it is no more dangerous that riding a bike or swiming as long as you take the time to make your ride safe...and X 10,00,000,000,000 take pics of your smileing kids in your jeep but on mild trails ie a color run or somethign like that again you are doing things that are fun with your kids ...your not ploping them infront of a tv with a video game or leaving them with a sitter..i think that most judges would rather see that then ignoring them or them sitting infront of the tv insted of doing things with their dad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.