Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The new 6.4L PSD's

3K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Grassman 
#1 ·
So my dad just bought a 2008 f-250 with the 6.4 in it. I dont know much about these new motors...pros? cons?

#2 ·
Powerful, very complicated. I dunno of any feedback regarding the reliability tho since I dont work in the building with ford hotline anymore. I sure as hell wouldnt want to have to put injectors in one tho :lol: The trucks they came in are pretty friggin sweet tho, especially the F450s :drool:

#3 ·
Yea ford came a long way since 99 when they revamped their body styles and interiors. They are so much more comfortable now...Im definately impressed so far!!!

#4 ·
#10 ·
matt i was talking about how the majority of the first shipment had to go back and couldnt be sold right away...and yes i only saw videos from other dealers online with the flames shooting away but it was still pretty damn sweet....i heard the dealer downstate had a problem when a lot guy left one running close to a escape on their lot and warped the rear bumper not from flames but the pure fact that the exhaust gases was super hot

#11 ·
thats kinda one of those things they tell ya not to do. What was it like 750 degrees coming out of there ? Something retarded I'll never park next to one of them sons a bitches.

#13 ·
I went to a class about the new emissons systems on the diesel trucks and the exhaust temp inside the particulate filter has to reach temps over 1200 degrees to burn off the soot. The temp out the tail pipe is a little lower but still way too hot. Thats why they have those stupid tips on the tail pipe to let air in to cool it down some. When the truck goes into active regeneration it sprays a small amout of diesel fuel in the cyl when the exhaust valve is open to heat up the particulate filter. Thats one of the reasons these new trucks don't get as good of fuel milage as the older trucks. All of the new emissions and electronics keeps me busy at work so it must be good!

#18 ·
Yes it can be bad to have lots of black smoke from a diesel. Black smoke is usually followed by hot exhaust temp which will eventually melt pistons or could cause rings to stick and scuff cylinder walls. Usually black smoke on a stock truck is caused by lack of boost from the turbo. On a modified diesel usually its caused by too small of turbo for the fueling box that is on the truck. More fuel needs more air. My cummins has injectors, delivery valves and a modified stock turbo and has hot exhaust temp at over 2500rpm because the turbo goes out of its efficient compressor map. Just because the modified stock turbo can make 45psi boost does not mean it is efficient. The turbo outlet air temp to the engine may go up to over 600 degrees and when your max exhaust temp should not exceed 1350 to 1400 degrees that hot air coming into the engine does not help. My 2007 duramax with 5 inch exhaust and a pcm reprogram is quicker than most of the trucks that I've raced in this area and the other trucks usually are belching black smoke. You don't always need smoke to make power.

#19 ·
lmao i like that theory smoke=power , no wonder my 87 350 chevy pickup was a power house that thing smoked like a bitch on start up and here I thought it was just valve seals and all this time it's because it had a secret blower on it. lmao couldnt resist.

#20 ·
wow cerb you are a complete moron...we were talking about DIESEL TRUCKS not your chevy 350 i didnt say i thought they had alot of power because they smoked i just thought that bellowing black smoke was a caused by making a monster diesel...apparently alot of guys dont turn it right and there is really no benefit from it other than making everyone cough.

your truck smokes because its tired and needs to be rebuilt and that reason only..:stan:

#23 ·
does any body with a excelent knowlege of diesels have an opinion on the 6.4? looking to buy this spring, but ford has really tarnished its rep with that p.o.s. 6.0.
i have a 03 7.3 and dont want to step down if the 6.4 turns out to be crap too. i will be leaving it stock for a lawn care puller and plowin truck. no offroad use.

#26 ·
The engine seems a little overly complex with the 2 turbo system, seperate cat converter just for the exhaust to the egr valve, the other cat converter and particulate filter. Also the injectors are under the valve covers which if you pop the hood you can't see any of the engine. If it does have injector problems out of warranty the repair bill will really hurt! Another thing I'm interested in is if this engine has a closed pcv system, which if the injectors leak fuel into the crank case and the oil/fuel goes up and into the pcv system and is put back into the turbo the engine will overspeed and explode. I still have not found any information about the pcv system yet. I talked to a couple of people that bought the 6.4 and they all complained about low fuel economy. I would probably wait a while and see if any major problems pop up with this engine before I would spend that kind of money on the truck.

#24 ·
First of all and by the way man not threadjackin' i'm well aware of it being a diesel i was just playing on your idiotic statement of smoke meaning it's a monster. Which would light your pansy ass b2000 up or your explorer with 3.42's which is pretty sad on your part but hp aside 300 lbs of torque you dont touch.. But that's neither here nor there sorry to bitch I'm done.

#27 ·
Last night I was surching on my computer for 6.4l stuff and found a ford chat page. I thought it would be alot of people talking about how cool there new 6.4l is but instead it was mostly complaints about fuel economy and dealer service. On one of the first pages someone asked if anyone does oil samples on there trucks. He did a sample on his truck and found it had high fuel percent in the oil. A couple of other people said they would take a sample from there trucks and have it tested. A few pages later they responded with a similar percent of fuel in there oil also. Then other people started to respond that had the same complaint. One person said he has that same oil dilution problem and he is on his third engine already. The dealer he goes to really had no good answer on what is going on with the engines. The chevy duramax engine code lb7 had the fuel injectors inside the engine also and I did lots of injectors under warranty for drivability problems including fuel in the oil. On the duramax the pcv system was not a closed system so when the oil/fuel mixture got high enough it would blow out the vent tube on the front of the engine and make a big mess. Customers knew they had a problem then. A few years later the engine had a redesign and the injectors were moved outside the engine which cut labor times way down on injector replacement and diagnosis. Also the pcv system could be a closed system then because if injectors or high pressure fuel lines leak it would not go into the oil and cause the engine to overspeed and blow up. I still have not found out for sure if the 6.4l powerstroke is a closed pcv system but I'm still looking.

#28 ·
chevycummins,it sounds like you really know your stuff, i do not intend to hijack, but if you continue to find info i REALLY appreciate the education. i am just trying to make sure that when i spend 40k on a truck i dont end up buying a regular date with the dealership (warr. or otherwise)

#29 ·
This truck is going on its third engine and the truck only has 40,000miles on it. The owner is stuck out of town again with his horses and trailer and was there for a couple of weeks. He said that the truck was running ok going down the highway when it bucked a couple of times and then it was done. The mechanic found coolant in the oil and the egr cooler was blown. Sounds like a lot of fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.