Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

96 F-350 reading codes

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  velcro7279 
#1 · (Edited)
96 F-350 460/E40D 36" tires I know there is a way to read the codes on this truck with a paper clip but I don`t remember how.Anybody out there point me in the right direction?The trans is running warm (200*plus) on warmer days.I`m not pulling a trailer or even driving it hard and I even have an auxilary cooler.The end of plowing season last year the cooler in the radiator some how plugged so I bypassed it and ran a cooler with a fan.I was thinking about replacing the radiator so I could run the both auxilary and the radiator cooler.It shifts real hard 95% of the time but every so often it will shift fine. Anybody have any tips?Could it be bad sensor or ECM? Oh yeah, also when I get out of truck after driving for bit it seems like there is excessive heat from under the truck even if the trans is not hot as I can feel it on my legs. there is no cats on the exhaust and it is a single 3.5" exhaust from an 02 superduty

#4 ·
96 would be OBDII, you need a code reader or some sort of scanner to pull codes, but doubt you will find your trans temp issue there anyway.

is the cooler you put on smaller then the stock one? I would suggest getting the rad replaced first off, and then see what the temp is

how close is the exhaust to the trans, or the trans pan?

#5 ·
96 would be OBDII, you need a code reader or some sort of scanner to pull codes, but doubt you will find your trans temp issue there anyway.
The F 350 may still be OBD I. Got a friend with a 96 F 350 4x4 with a 5.8 and C6 and it it still OBD I with the EEC-IV computer. It is set up just like my 95 F 350.

If you want to pull codes on an OBD I try HERE. Ford Fuel Injection has all kinds of info on the OBD I systems.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.