Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Custom Driveshafts

9K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  ricthewrench 
#1 ·
Is there anywhere in the detroit area to get driveshafts cut down, lengthened or custom built?

#10 ·
I've built them for street vehicles, only had one guy saying it was vibrating (I had already told him before hand he should take them in to get balanced)...turned out he had other problems, and the shafts were fine...

I use a set of v-blocks and a dial indicator and get the runout as close to zero as possible, though I have never gotten one quite to zero...

#20 ·
After dialing it in and welding it the only way to get the shaft to zero is to dial it again after welding it and heating it red hot it the high spots and colling it with a wet rag. This will shrink it on that side and bring it to zero. This is the way I was taught to do it when I worked at Toledo Driveline/Certified Powertrain/Fleet Trucks building drive shafts.

#24 ·
ive used dynotec fawktec before. ill never use them again.

cci was awesome to me and would use them again in a heartbeat. just wish they were closer. i need to lenghthen my rear d-shaft and was thinking about not doing it myself for once so it would balance nicely.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.